Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By pjl953
If there is nothing noted on the chart then Class C airspace begins at FL195, in the UK at least, not sure about in other countries. In the case of Welshpool however my half mil chart shows that Class A airspace within N864 is from FL145+, and just to the north of WPL the base lowers to FL105+

Peter
By JonathanB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Take a look at ENR 6.1.4.1 and see if that’s what you need... :)
By ryana178
As Jonathan says... whenever I have such a question, I always look it up in the AIP. I then (usually) find the answer to my question and often learn a bit more trying to get said answer :D
By riverrock
The chart I use has the bases listed - which are you using?

The charts are essentially created using information in the AIP, which is the master version, but they combine all the information across the multiple AIP documents to make the information easier to follow. In doing this, they declutter (meaning that some info is intentionally removed) so , for example, 1:500K CAA VFR chart doesn't depict airspace above FL195, the 1:250k doesn't depict airspace above FL50. This is clear in the map key. For electronic maps this decluttering is likely configurable and dynamic.

For N864 see http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/in ... id=11.html ENR 6.1.4.1
AIAA are of course - not controlled airspace - but for information only.
By James Chan
The UK's 1:500,000 VFR charts depict airspace up to FL195.
The 1:250,000 VFR charts up to FL50.

As others have pointed out, you can almost always find something in the AIP ENR charts section of the country concerned.
By chevvron
Beware however. ICAO consider that if are flying at the base level of controlled airspace, you are separated from traffic above you, but in the UK if you do this you will be treated as an 'infringer'.
By WTSMG
Cheers all.

Save for the occasional climb FL X by waypoint X instruction, you never really have to consider CAS and ATC sectors when operating CAT. Important to know though.
By lobstaboy
WTSMG wrote:Cheers all.

Save for the occasional climb FL X by waypoint X instruction, you never really have to consider CAS and ATC sectors when operating CAT. Important to know though.

Huh? You're the OP and this is the students forum. I'm not sure what help I can be - was going to expand on some the previous posts, but obvs not needed... I