Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Dave Bugz
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I done exactly the same, C152 to a modern 3 Axis Microlight as i only wanted recreational flying. London Airsports are good and have been around along time, plus there are other NPPL training clubs around. I trained near Harlow/Stanstead.
Agree 25 hrs is not that realistic, i believe this allows you to have a restricted license, i think you can only fly 8 nautical miles, you then need to get your un restricted license which includes 2 solo navigation flights, all good fun and your learning all the time. Once thats obtained you are free to fly.
The only issue, if you call it that, is there are not many 3 Axis Microlights to hire, although this is getting better with more clubs offering this option, i ended up buying into a syndicate, theres only 3 of us and it works really well, plus its cheap flying £20.00 an hour WET.
If you think microlight might work for you then why not just give it a try - no need to burn any bridges with your existing school at this stage, just go and do a couple of hours and see if you enjoy it (and put it in your logbook of course). Even if you continue with PPL the training won't be wasted: I never did an hour during my training when I didn't come away feeling I had learned something.

However if you DO want to continue with the PPL then there is absolutely nothing wrong with putting the school right about just who is paying their wages, and asking to change instructor to one who actually has availability when you need him. Oh, and if you are talking about the school I think you are then the cancellation charge is actually only if you cancel at less than 24 hours' notice.

You might want to PM me to let me know where you are currently training as I may be able to advise on who to speak to.
By buzzthetower
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dave Bugz wrote:I Agree 25 hrs is not that realistic, i believe this allows you to have a restricted license, i think you can only fly 8 nautical miles, you then need to get your un restricted license which includes 2 solo navigation flights, all good fun and your learning all the time. Once thats obtained you are free to fly.

25 hours min is for unrestricted, it's 15 hours min for the restricted licence. Not many people do it in those minimum hours though but should still be a lot less hours than a PPL. I think mine was around 35 hours.