Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By hcordeiro1977
Hello my name is Hugo and from the end of November 2017 I will begin my PPL training and I wonder if anyone can advice me where to start in relation of types of books I can start reading . Thanks.
By carlmeek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Surely not air law! A boring topic for a new starter.

Surely reading through the exercises book 1?
By Spooky
Have a light read of meteorology and aircraft technical. It’ll give you a basic idea of how/why an aircraft moves as it does and the meteorology will give you an understanding of how weather can affect this performance.

Plus both are interesting and important parts of your learning.
By Artschool
carlmeek wrote:Surely not air law! A boring topic for a new starter.

I suppose it is boring, but no solo without passing the exam.
By scd975
For a good start in understanding the aircraft and its systems, I would recommend starting with Principles of Flight and Aircraft General Knowledge.
By johnm
Start with aeroplane technical, then take a look at air law, then navigation and finally meteorology. Get a general idea of the topics and then study in detail.
By Andrew Sinclair
Artschool wrote:
carlmeek wrote:Surely not air law! A boring topic for a new starter.

I suppose it is boring, but no solo without passing the exam.

Reference for that assertion please, I am afraid it is a myth oft quoted on this forum.
By Andrew Sinclair
Artschool wrote:
Allan Armadale wrote:Reference for that assertion please, I am afraid it is a myth oft quoted on this forum.

viewtopic.php?t=39018

Exactly my point, it matters not what people on an internet forum say it is the denitive law that matters. Be aware of ‘Bloke in a pub said’ references, dragons be there.

It simply is not a requirement and flying schools who force students to pass Air Law prior to first solo without a properly explore safety case are doing there customers a disservice. It is about time we myth-busted this nonsence until someone either provide the definitive reference or creates the safety case and changes the law. I can imagine a perfect day when I am flying with a student who delivers consistent ccts and is ready to solo but hasn’t had an opportunity to sit Air Law...what a shame let’s go sit in the club and get you right out of ‘the zone’ by sitting your Air Law exam :lol:

General Aviation has suffered from a number of nonsensical safety cases of the last 17 years since the implementation of JAA and perhaps before that so and we need to embrace those proven and reject those debunked.

Apologies to OP for thread drift, I’ll get off my soapbox now... :roll:
By Morten
You will be forced to work your way through the normal textbooks anyway. What you should do is to buy and read Langewiesche's "Stick and Rudder". :D
Anything you really need to know is in it, it's a very good read and you will constantly hear/see references to it. :thumleft: (Don't be put off by the date it was written. Aerodynamics have not changed. It is a classic with a bit of a cult following.)

Here (Other retailers are available).

Morten
Artschool, rachelandrew liked this
By Artschool
Allan Armadale wrote:Exactly my point, it matters not what people on an internet forum say it is the denitive law that matters. Be aware of ‘Bloke in a pub said’ references, dragons be there.

but how will you go solo without a flight school? most of them seem to require air law.
By cockney steve
It's not Law, It's A55 -covering ! AIUI, It's Insurance-driven. Manchester Barton is under Manchester's controlled airspace, which abuts (overlaps?) Liverpool's,with the "Low- level corridor" as a shortcut, between North and South. Isuppose the insurers think anyone who's passed "Air Law" is unlikely to transgress......obviously they don't read the actual evidence.