Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By rachelandrew
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'd agree with the advice to read Stick and Rudder. It's definitely an old-fashioned sort of read but enlightening (I'm a current student, just coming up on 20 hours if the weather ever lets me fly again).

Depending on where you fly from, it might be worth reading the Communications book or even just CAP 413 https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=6973. I fly out of Bristol and talking to ATC is the most stressful part of it all for me.

I found the Skyway Code https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Safety-information/The-Skyway-Code/ also a good intro to things that the course books will go into depth on.

I found that before I had lessons and in the early lessons a lot of the stuff in the official books made no real sense to me as I had no context for it. As I go back over them now in order to do the exams I'm amazed at how much I've learned from doing the actual flying, so it's a kind of circular process of book learning, and practical, and back to the books.

I'm convinced my instructor believes I have never read any of the books at all, given that as soon as I get into the aircraft all prior knowledge seems to desert me, but the things I read do pop into my head at useful moments ... sometimes!
By Paul_Sengupta
Don't frighten the poor person off by suggesting Air Law or CAP413! :D

Trevor Thom/Air Pilots Manual book 1 (or I presume the AFE Book 1, though I haven't read it) is what you want for a reasonable introduction to aeroplanes and flying.
Artschool liked this
By MarkOlding
Sorry if its a bit late but as has been said you don't need air law to go solo. WW sets you a paper to see what understanding you have of basic laws, a/c knowledge and if alls well off you go.
By Genghis the Engineer
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Don't frighten the poor person off by suggesting Air Law or CAP413! :D

Trevor Thom/Air Pilots Manual book 1 (or I presume the AFE Book 1, though I haven't read it) is what you want for a reasonable introduction to aeroplanes and flying.

Given that the "poor person" has made no posts since their initial one, and didn't in particular answer my question about what type and what country - they may have drifted off before there were any responses, let alone the current couple of pages.

G