Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Joanaragones
Hey guys,

I know this question may be already posted but I just wanna ask again to get some more opinions because I'm a little lost and I don't wanna make a mistake with this. I am from Spain but working in England, I've just got the FAA Private Pilot and and wanna commence with the ATPL distance learning course.

The question is simple, CAE Oxford or Bristol GS? I have been checking both of them and your last comments, in regards Bristol GS, the distance learning plan looks pretty well, even more than Oxford, but Oxford is an important known school but I don't think it gonna impair a lot. I have sent a lot of e-mail to Oxford and to be honest they answer days after or directly don't reply. In Bristol GS they are really nice and explaining everything in detail. Actually at the end, the exams are the same but I wanna make a good choose

I would like some opinion from you.

Thank you
Joan
By JonathanB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I did my ATPLs with Bristol about 10 years ago and found them brilliant. That said I have no experience of any other provider and I suspect most people will only know "their" school of choice!

I think you just missed the Pilot Careers Live event in London where you could probably have spoken to both... https://www.pilotcareernews.com/live/
By Joanaragones
Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your reply, Yes I planned to go to the Pilot Careers Live in London but I finally worked. I probably will go to next one in Rome, I will check it

Thank you
Joan
By Shiny
I finished the ATPLs with Bristol in September. My experience was very positive. I can recommend them very highly.

I found all the staff and lecturers to be incredibly professional, knowledgeable and friendly, before I signed up, during the course itself and indeed now after I have finished. So it doesn't surprise me that you have had a positive experience in your discussions with them so far. It's a very well polished operation.

Like other posters here, I have no knowledge of CAE and so cannot comment on them or make a comparison. I hear good things about them too.

I suspect there won't be many that can compare the two as very few use both (apart from the Bristol Question Bank itself, which most seem to use).

One recommendation I would give: go online and see when all the relevant brush up courses/onsite training weeks are scheduled at the different schools. I seem to remember looking at the schedule of courses - Bristol came out favorably in terms of availability and frequency of the on-site brush up courses when compared to the other schools that I looked at (can't remember if I compared to CAE or not). The frequency meant that I had a lot of flexibility of when I went on the onsite courses. I did this analysis a year ago so would recommend anyone do the same for themselves as things may have changed in that time.

In summary - very good experience with Bristol, but as I have no experience of the other schools, I can't compare

Good luck
Joanaragones liked this
By Joanaragones
Hey,

Thank you all, your comments make me see more clearly, the distance learning in Bristol GS looks more dinamic, they are good and experienced staff and are very friendy and helpful with me. Some people told me Oxford because is very famous school and is training from a lot of years ago so a lot of pilots has trained there but nowadays I don’t think it matter to much.

Thank you
Joan