Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By jess.10
Hi, so I have 9 hours of flying so far, it all feels a very long way away!

I completed 7 hours in a PA38 Tomahawk and now i have moved to PA28 Warrior. Do you think this is a good idea or should I have stuck to the Tomahawk??
By Spooky
As Paul says, which feels better to fly?

Hope you're enjoying your early lessons, I think they're the most fun :D
By carlmeek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Should I drive a 20 year old Volvo, or a 20 year old Saab?
By CapnM
What was the reason for switching - money? If there was little difference in the hourly rates between the two then I'd go for the Warrior on the basis that it's a four-seater, so you'd be more likely to get checked out on that once you pass anyway.
By Rob P
I love the Tomahawk and find the PA28 a bit of a barge by comparison.

Don't know if that helps?

And welcome! :D

Rob P
By Rob P
carlmeek wrote:Should I drive a 20 year old Volvo, or a 20 year old Saab?

No. :wink:
By Morten
If you have to drive a 20 year old something.... you could do a lot worse than the SAAB (sic. It's an acronym...).

As for flying, you will learnt the best on what you feel most comfortable with. All trainers are very similar - once you've passed your test you'll move on to other things anyway :)

Morten
By jess.10
Thankyou for the replies. I've chose to stick to the warrior completing circuit lessons, and hopefully not too long until solo :)
By Bathman
I learn in tomahawk as its a better training aircraft. If you can fly a Tommy well you will have no problem converting to a pa28.

I fly with way to many pilots who i have to (re)teach the use of rudder and nit to just drive the sircraft airborne.

You be good at trimming to. Plus its cheaper
By c750X
Aside from small vices, every training aircraft does the same thing. Whatever you are flying when you pull back the cows get smaller and when you open the throttle it gets louder. Just because you have X hours on type doesn't mean you need to stick with something you're not happy with. Confidence plays a massive part in training - fly something that you are comfortable with and it's one less thing that's sapping your capacity.

However, a PA28 will prepare you nicely for the "after-learning", hire a club aircraft and it'll be a similar size and weight. You'll get very busy very quickly when you first start flying with passengers so if you are familiar with the aircraft, again it's a good thing.
By David Wood
I think that we all tend to be coloured by whatever we ourselves trained on. The fact is that pretty well all training aircraft do much the same thing and it really comes down to whatever you are comfortable in and are used to - and can afford.

Remember however that even at the simple, light, single-engined, piston-engined end of the spectrum not all aircraft behave the same way, perform the same way, or are equiped or even configured the same way. So later, when you have your license and you come to fly other aircraft, you would do well to approach each new type with a very open mind and with appropriate instruction from someone competent on that type. Even closely-related types sometimes have significant differences between which can (and sometimes tragically do) catch out the unwary or the complacent. The recent sad episode involving different flap controls on otherwise very similar Cessna 150/152 types is a case in point.
lobstaboy liked this
By townleyc
I learnt on C152/C150 and have only about 10 minute (RH seat) in a PA28

I would now be scared to fly a Tommie - they have a reputation. However I wish I had learnt on one. They can bite, which can be a good feature in a training aircraft.

However whatever you fly - enjoy it!

KE