Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By akg1486
flybymike wrote:
At our club's school, the majority of the dropouts happen during the ground school stage

What is this ground school of which you speak?

Not getting the irony, I'm afraid... If genuine question: air law, met, performance and a few other good-to-know stuff we try to cram into our poor students' heads. :D
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just remarking that in my day there was no such thing where I learned to fly.

Just turn up, bit of a pre flight briefing ( if you were lucky) go flying, bit of a post flight briefing if lucky, go home and wait for the next lesson.

I would say that 99% of my ground school was self study.
Rob P, Straight Level, T67M liked this
I finally passed my skills test on 19th September however the training has taken a ridiculous amount of time due to lack of funds, family events, house etc.

It has actually taken me 10 years on and off however it has been a life long ambition to get my PPL and now I can say I have done it. There have been many frustrations but it has been worth it.
flybymike, MercianMarcus, Artschool and 10 others liked this
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I run a flying school at Blackbushe and I would go out of business if I had drop out rates like that.
The drop out rate at my club is very low. We have had very few this year.
Sooty25 liked this
By Charles Hunt
SleapRequired wrote:I finally passed my skills test on 19th September however the training has taken a ridiculous amount of time due to lack of funds, family events, house etc.

It has actually taken me 10 years on and off however it has been a life long ambition to get my PPL and now I can say I have done it. There have been many frustrations but it has been worth it.

Congratulations. Well done.