Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Shiny
I'm very proud to say that after 8 months, 350+ modules of study and progress tests, 20,000+ question bank questions I've just received the final passes for my ATPL theory exams. What a lovely feeling.

I have a funny feeling I'm going to be waking up in the middle of the night, with exam questions whirring through my mind for some weeks yet.

Now to choose a school for the CPL and FIC - very excited!
JonH690, MarkOlding, Spooky and 4 others liked this
By ChipCobb
Well done!

I still maintain that I've never experienced tiredness like I did when studying for my ATPL's.

It's such a great feeling to pass them all. Enjoy getting your life back and all the best with the CPL.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
Shiny liked this
By Kevin31
Well done you must be chuffed? Hows the research going on finding flight school?

Any tips please for those starting? Were you working full time also? How many hours a day you have to commit? You did really well to knock them out in 8 months.

Regards

Kevin
By Shiny
Kevin31 wrote:Well done you must be chuffed? Hows the research going on finding flight school?

Any tips please for those starting? Were you working full time also? How many hours a day you have to commit? You did really well to knock them out in 8 months.

Regards

Kevin

Chuffed? Yes - Over the moon! Thank you

Research? Went to Booker Aviation re starting the CPL - what a thoroughly lovely bunch of people. May well decide on cracking on with the FIC straight away. Imagine it will be Booker or my own club (White Waltham)

Tips? i) Put the hours in ii) take no shortcuts iii) study smart. The leading schools have amazing online apps with powerful diagnostics that enable you to focus in on weaker areas of study. I would advise those setting out on the journey to use the functionality to its best

Working? No - have taken a year off

Hours per day to commit? I'd turn that on its head. The schools say 500-600 hours of study for the lot. I'd say that's about right but I'd add another 100-200 hrs to really murder the question banks. So that's 600-800hrs. Divide that by the number of hours you can realistically work every day/week and you have your timeframe.

Always happy to help with any other queries. Who are you going to use?
By shortwing
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well done, i've found it hard going with full time work and volunteer evening activities twice a week. I'm not sure I, or many students i've spoken with, appreciated the effort it takes.

Certainly since starting i've been physically more tired.

At least you can do the enjoyable bit, the actual flying now :thumleft:
Shiny liked this
By Kevin31
Shiny wrote:
Kevin31 wrote:Well done you must be chuffed? Hows the research going on finding flight school?

Regards

Kevin

Chuffed? Yes - Over the moon! Thank you

Research? Went to Booker Aviation re starting the CPL - what a thoroughly lovely bunch of people. May well decide on cracking on with the FIC straight away. Imagine it will be Booker or my own club (White Waltham)

Tips? i) Put the hours in ii) take no shortcuts iii) study smart. The leading schools have amazing online apps with powerful diagnostics that enable you to focus in on weaker areas of study. I would advise those setting out on the journey to use the functionality to its best

Working? No - have taken a year off

Hours per day to commit? I'd turn that on its head. The schools say 500-600 hours of study for the lot. I'd say that's about right but I'd add another 100-200 hrs to really murder the question banks. So that's 600-800hrs. Divide that by the number of hours you can realistically work every day/week and you have your timeframe.

Always happy to help with any other queries. Who are you going to use?

Nice have to let us no how the CPL goes. What about the ME/IR are you not going to do that?

Thanks what are your best study tips then? Flash cards or notes and review? What school did you use? I am probably going to use bristol just hope they update there QB for new style of questions.

Wow Id love to take year off. How come you didnt do an integrated course for the theory then?

Think I will be nearer a 1000 hours as I dont grasp most concetps to quickly so thank you for tip on hours. Did you chunk up your hours or hit 8 hours a day?

THanks again.

Kev
By Shiny
Kevin31 wrote:Nice have to let us no how the CPL goes. What about the ME/IR are you not going to do that?

Thanks what are your best study tips then?

Flying is still very much a hobby for me so no huge rush to get the CPL/IR. Will do them at some point over the next couple years before the 3yr window closes.

I used Bristol. Can't give them enough good feedback. It's a really slick operation. Great tutors, study materials, very strong digital media and online resources. Very very good. I didn't do integrated i) because I'm not going airlines and ii) for family/personal reasons. I have 4 young children so had to work around family life. Even though I had full days to study, in reality, I couldn't do more than 3-4hrs a day before my head hurt!

Study tips - Know how you, as an individual, learn and make a plan around that. Everyone learns differently. I went through the study material, subject by subject (the ATPdigital software flits from subject to subject, but you can chose to stay on one subject until you've finished it then move to the next), finished the 4 subjects for that particular module, then hit the QB.

I think the one thing I did that had the biggest impact was to make notes on the questions/areas in the progress tests & QB that I'd fallen down on. I was then able to reference back to those when I'd finished the subject. Making notes took more time than doing the questions, but it forced me to address my weak points and gave me reference points to go back to. The online question bank lets you analyse the areas you've fallen down on so you can be more efficient when coming back to that particular subject. Once I'd finished all the question bank for that subject I then refined the notes to give me a concise set of problem areas/reference sheets.

For some of the subjects (AirLaw, Op Proc, Performance) there are plenty of facts/figures/diagrams to remember, so I came up with a one page A4 cheat sheet that I was able to write out from memory. I reproduced the sheet at the beginning of that particular exam and then referenced back to it during the exam, which is perfectly allowable.

From what I hear, the new Quadrant questions are fine as long as you know the subject matter.

Good luck!
By akg1486
I did the ATPL syllabus from September 2008 to early 2010 (plus two re-tests :oops: ). I took a distance course (not sure if you can do that in the UK) with some eight weeks in classrooms spread out over that time. The rest was self-study in evenings and weekends.

Half the class were "older", i.e. with jobs, and studied on the side. The other half were youngsters (late teens/early twenties) who at least on paper did nothing but study. The half with jobs did significantly better than the ones who only studied. Perhaps being fully responsible for your own studies is difficult if you only have experience of being in school?

For those who think of doing it, it's not really more difficult than PPL. It's just that it's so much more material. If you could do the PPL, you can do the ATPL.

My own motivation was to carry on with PPL IR, and since the ATPL course was offered by a university the tuition was free. (A pure IR course, about 50 to 75% of the material, would have cost me the equivalent of some 4-5,000 pounds.) As it happened, I ran out of time after 30 hours in simulator so couldn't complete it. Still, I'm happy I did it. I gained a much deeper understanding on many subjects, in particular meteorology, that it very useful for the average GA pilot. 30 hours in IR simulator also made me a much better pilot. I'm not afraid of accidental IMC; I know that I will survive.

Congratulations to OP, and best of luck to the rest of you students, regardless if you're on PPL- or any other level. :thumleft:
Shiny liked this
By Josh
Shiny wrote:I have 4 young children so had to work around family life.

Wow. I found it hard work without any personal commitments (ex girlfriend became ex early in the process!) - I only have 1 toddler and can’t imagine finding the time.

Kudos.
Shiny liked this