Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Sooty25
@Jazzer I think you need to first decide why you want to fly.

If its for fun, then study "cheap" options like NPPL and a share in a budget permit type and enjoy it.

If driving for Ryanscare is the goal, you might want to consider selling a kidney or child, or remortgage the family home, 'cos there ain't no cheap and quick answer!

But the impression I get is you haven't quite figured out why or what you want to fly. Sort that out first.

Oh, gliding. In winter months 2000ft aerotow would give 16-17 minutes, 3000ft would give 22-23 minutes. (no thermals!) in a K13, 2 up,
5 minutes suggests sub 1000ft winch launch to me. 1 circuit with about 30 seconds to find a thermal or ridge. Plenty of landings per hour of flight though!
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Jazzer wrote:A further question, are you able to do the night rating and IMC straight after getting the PPL?

All 3 would cost approx £11k however I appreciate that's a bare minimum cost and is likely to be more like £13/£14k once all said and done.

Thanks again.

I wouldn't recommend doing the IMCr /IR(R) until you can confidently hold a heading to within plus or minus 5 degrees or altitude plus or minus 50 ft for long periods at a time without thinking about it.

Otherwise the first x number of hours of IMC training will be wasted teaching you to do just this, an essential requirement of Instrument Flying, unlike VFR where many pilots just relax and let (within reason) the aeroplane take them where it feels like.

Peter
By Jazzer
Still deciding between gliding and ppl training. I have a budget of £250-£300 a month to spend. How much flying time would that get me in a powered plane whether as a part of a syndicate or renting from a flying school?

I've estimated that gliding would be slightly less than half the cost of powered. Is that about accurate?

How much flying time do you need to do in a powered plane per year to be a decent pilot? I understand you legally need to do 12 hours a year to remain current.

Thanks once again in advance!
By Rob P
Just a technical point. Incomprehensible as it may seem you only need to fly 12 hours in the second year of a two year cycle, not both years.

Rob P
By Crash one
Jazzer wrote:Still deciding between gliding and ppl training. I have a budget of £250-£300 a month to spend. How much flying time would that get me in a powered plane whether as a part of a syndicate or renting from a flying school?

I've estimated that gliding would be slightly less than half the cost of powered. Is that about accurate?

How much flying time do you need to do in a powered plane per year to be a decent pilot? I understand you legally need to do 12 hours a year to remain current.

Thanks once again in advance!

£300= about two hrs a month rental.

By Jazzer
Out of curiousity does the hourly rates from flying schools include fuel costs? If I go for powered flying I'm leaning towards Highland Aviation due to the favourable weather conditions there despite being a long way from home for me.
By Paul_Sengupta
Jazzer wrote:Out of curiousity does the hourly rates from flying schools include fuel costs?

Yes.

Just for completeness, in the ads above, "wet" means including fuel, "dry" means not.
By Charles Hunt
and also if not stated before, you only pay for flying hours.

So if you fly for half an hour, park for an hour to have tea and cake, then fly back again then you are billed for one hour, not two.
By Crash one
Depending on the club/school they may not be too happy with an aircraft sitting on the ground some distance away that they could be flying students in. There may be a minimum charge regardless how little flying time.
Part or sole ownership should give you more freedom though with running costs whether you fly it or not.
Swings and roundabouts innit.
By Jazzer
Made my decision...I think.

I'm going to try gliding. I'm unable at present to justify the cost of ppl training and the cost thereafter. At least with this I'll fork out only £250 for a 3 month membership including £220 worth of gliding.

That should give me a good indication as to whether gliding is for me or not.
By Crash one
I was about to post the following.
At those prices, good decision, good luck.

Gliding is a way of life rather than a hobby.
Unless you have done so already I would suggest you depart your 25 miles west of Glasgow at zero minus 30 daylight and drive to Portmoak, arriving at breakfast time. Speak to the CFI or the duty instructor, explaining your desire for information/trial flight etc. You may need to pay a day membership or whatever.
Watch and learn the procedure. Probably spending the whole day there, the restaurant is excellent.
You may be expected to help pull gliders about, someone will show you how.
If you enjoy spending the day there for prob 30 mins flying at best, then that's great.
Don't bother with web sites, the reality may be somewhat different.
By Paul_Sengupta
Having tried gliding, I figured out after spending a whole day at Lasham pulling gliders around for one 6 minute circuit right at the end of the day after all the lift had gone that it wasn't really for me. Quite a few others went up 3 or more times while I was waiting for one flight. When I noticed someone going up for the third time while I hadn't been up once, I queried it and was just told that I was on the list and I'd get my turn.

At one circuit per day, being able to devote perhaps one day a week, it was going to take me an awfully long time to get anywhere.

Since then they've tightened up on the weight and balance rules and they can't let me go up at all any more, even if they still had a glider I could fit in! (Grob 103, from the back seat is the most comfortable for me).