Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Misha_the_Penguin
A possibly unusual query! For various reasons (too dull to go in to) it has taken me several years to get to the point now where I actually have the end in sight and have around 10 hours or so (and a few exams) before I get my LAPL. I've got so far around 75 hours logged however one of my instructors mused last week that there is a time cut off for the hours to be valid and contribute to the LAPL. He was unable to tell me what that was and I haven't been able to find anything definitive that says what this might be.

Is this correct??
By Nick T
Have a look at this thread which may help a little bit or give you a bit more to research.

I'm not sure if there's a difference between LAPL and PPL but I was in a similar situation last year... I had about 14 hours from 2004/2005 which I wanted to carry over. Had to pay for an exemption at a cost of £50 to allow me to count those hours in the ones I was claiming (I qualified on 52.5 hours, so needed to include them).

Judging from the post I've linked to, it looks like there's a hard deadline coming up at the end of this month...
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
of course there are two ways to skin a LAPL at the moment.... until next April of course.
If it all goes undercarriage up with your old hours, explore an NPPL-SSEA issue with the LAA. If you get one of those issued before next April, you can fill in a form, and send £41 and get a lapl
Andrew Sinclair liked this
By Misha_the_Penguin
Thanks for your replies. Crikey- that seems a bit more complicated than I thought! No way I could complete by the end of the month. It looks like I would scrape enough hours by the time I finished going back to 2012. However is the NPPL route a better way to go then??
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well really your school needs to take this in hand and work out what you need to do by when. If needed, but only if necessary, I suspect a summary of your hours and training could be sent to the nppl people at the laa and ask if they could specify what needs doing to get an nppl ssea. They will give direction from where you are now. If you get an nppl ssea issued by 7/4/18, you can get a lapl with £41 and a form.