Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Artschool
I am thinking of buying a set of these with bluetooth.

has anyone got a recommendation of where to get them from?
By ChipCobb
I think you'll find they're the same price from all the major suppliers, they don't (or likely can't) compete. There is a cashback deal from Bose if you are flying commercially.

I bought some non-bluetooth ones when I started flying professionally 6 months ago and they really are a great bit of kit. Murphy's law about 2 weeks after I bought them AFE started giving away a free Bluetooth speaker with every purchase!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
Artschool liked this
By c750X
Wasn't your first lesson only last week? I use Bose A20, rate them very very highly. Could I justify buying a pair in the first 5 hours of flight training? Nope, given that the 6ish hours dual which they cost is really what you need first!

And unless it's the LEMO version Bluetooth canes the batteries and to be fair until you get to hour+ legs is a bit pointless.
Artschool liked this
By Artschool
thats right. I am on hour 3 and the flight school dave clarks are sticking into my head :shock:

I asked what I should look at and two of the instructors said A20's.

if I have to get a headset sometime I might as well get them now and I figured it would be a case of "buy once, cry once".
By Rob P
To actually answer the question, Harry Mendelssohn definitely. When the prices are the same then customer service is the only factor and Harry is legend for the support they give years after the statutory warrantee is just a memory.

http://www.gps.co.uk/bose-a20-ga-headse ... s/p-0-837/

Rob P
Artschool liked this
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Light speed Zulu are generally regarded as an equal to the Bose A20. Really depends on personal preference and head shape!
https://www.flyer.co.uk/lightspeed-zulu-3-anr-headset/
I've got Zulu 2 after testing the Bose A20 in the shop - for me it was just more comfy.

A better headset will help you to learn during PPL training: the noise reduction will help with fatigue and you'll be able to make out radio calls and your instructor more clearly.
By tehmarks
I bought a used Bose Aviation X from a member here for a reasonable amount, and it was definitely a good investment. I couldn't justify spending £1000 on a new headset over actually flying though. That's over seven hours of flying!
Artschool liked this