Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By SleapRequired
So I started flying and logging hours in 2006, had a break and flew again in 2010/2011 and only last november did I pickup from where I left off due to financial and life events getting in the way on each occasion.

So now I am in a big rush as the CAA have advised that for all training received before September 2012 to count I need to get an exemption and complete everything and have paperwork in to licensing by 29th September.

So I am rushing to complete 3 grounds exam, QXC flight, RT practical test, 2 hours instrument appreciation then skills test and get paperwork to CAA by then.

Wish me luck. Gonna need it or 28 hours will not be counted in my logbook!
By OptiGone
Man that sounds like a challenge!

Ground exams and RT will be easy enough to get done in that timeframe. Logging another 20 hours plus whilst fitting in around work and weather could be a struggle. Also should ask around for the examiners availability and consider booking him/her early to ensure you get a slot.

Bear in mind you may well need more than 20 hours to get back on form!

Best of luck with it all, sure you will be fine.
By SleapRequired
sorry I 'm up to 43 hours total but what I meant was if I don't pass before 29th Sept them the 28 hours in my logbook under JAR will not count.

Gooed shout about getting examiner booked. Will look into it. Cheers
By OptiGone
Ahh, gotcha. Yes perfectly clear now I reread it.

A bit less of a challenge then, hit those books!
By c750X
It's going to be a bit of an effort with weather, aircraft and instructor availability all having to align but is possible. Have a chat with your FI and see if he/she thinks you'll be in a position to get the big bits done and if they don't think you're ready what you need to do and hit that hard.

And relax! The worst thing you can do is start applying a bit too much pressure to yourself to hit a deadline and go when you are happy you're in a good place. It'd feel terrible to come so far to falter because you've rushed or overdone it!

The very best of luck though :)
By SleapRequired
Many thanks for the reply. Since I posted I have completed an exam and my QXC flight.

Not too much to do now and my instructor is confident we won't have any problems .
By SleapRequired
Yes well on the way now. Only my skills test to do now. I have been almost living at the flying school the last two weeks.

I received my exemption from the CAA today. This allows me to use hours that I logged in 2006 and 2011. I need to send in the exemption with my licence application before 29th September otherwise the hours I logged will not count. The CAA have stated no further exemption will be issued after 30th September.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
SleapRequired wrote:Yes well on the way now. Only my skills test to do now. I have been almost living at the flying school the last two weeks.

I received my exemption from the CAA today. This allows me to use hours that I logged in 2006 and 2011. I need to send in the exemption with my licence application before 29th September otherwise the hours I logged will not count. The CAA have stated no further exemption will be issued after 30th September.

Good luck, I was thinking the Sept weather has not been on your side, has it?
Have they been clear that applying before end of month is ok, rather than it hitting the top of their in-tray by then? I have suffered from the latter in the distant past due to change in fees long after submission but before processing, arguments that they had sat on the paperwork for weeks didn't make any difference. (It might be distant past, but notice I can't forget!)
By SleapRequired
Thanks Irv.

I have been very lucky and managed to fly the last 4 days despite the threat of gale force winds.

I did ask the question and their response was as long as they had received everything by the 29th then it would be processed.

I will be sending recorded delivery with tracking etc and making sure I get a signature with time stamp.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
SleapRequired wrote:Skills test passed and paperwork arrived at CAA on Wednesday. Just waiting for the shiny new licence now!! Phew!!

Bloody marvellous! Very well done.

Welcome to penury :lol:

Peter