Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By NregMechanic
Hello all,

PPL from the Americas freshly moved over to East Anglia, and I'm looking to familiarize myself with anything from the fields to the airspace over England. If anyone wants someone in the right seat or help on their N-reg airplane, I'm all ears. I hold a standard single engine land certificate, as well as an A&P IA mechanic (engineer?) with most experience on helicopters but have helped on some prop jobs here and there. Most of my hand-tools are still in route, so I'm limited in what I can actually do right now but I have that fancy certificate so I'm happy to help if I can.

I am working on getting a vehicle and a full UK license, so I'm kinda stuck in the east but the trains go all over so I'm happy to use them as required for worthwhile visits. If anyone is flying over to Europe I would do just about anything to go with ya!

The main purpose of this post is two things!

1) I'm a student to English/ European airspace so I'd love to fly in the right seat to listen in and navigate with folks here and maybe look towards converting to CAA equivalent (minus night flying :( ).

2) I'd love to meet the local av-geeks to get into aviation here.
Rob P, Highland Park liked this
By Rob P
Welcome!

I'm based at Old Buckenham, one of the ex-8th Airforce bases, in South Norfolk.

If we are ever able to prise the aircraft away from the engineers who are try to get their EMS install right you'd be welcome to the RH seat for an aerial tour of your new home. .

Rob P
NregMechanic liked this
By NregMechanic
OptiGone wrote:Where abouts in East Anglia are you?

Suffolk (A bit near Ipswich on the peninsula). I've flown with the folks at Crowfield (https://goo.gl/maps/Z2pC4fx77KD2) and had a lovely tour of the area from above, and listening on the radio I felt like I was re-learning how to chat VFR...hahaha

Rob P wrote:Welcome!
If we are ever able to prise the aircraft away from the engineers who are try to get their EMS install right you'd be welcome to the RH seat for an aerial tour of your new home. .
Rob P

Rob that would be awesome. I almost went by there last time I was in country visiting Norwich/ Aldeburgh Fish & Chip Shop(prior to becoming a resident) but didn't want to bore my wife too much with fellow aviation geeks. I'll PM you my telephone number, which sometimes doesn't have reception where I am. My instructor back in the states mentioned a Yak guy that I should try to meet (I assume it's the fellow near Cambridge) so I'll be sure to do that as well.

I'm planning to go to the airshow this weekend at Dunsfold Aerodrome, is anyone driving/ flying out??? I'd love to meet people in person; I need friends! hahaha
By Highland Park
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:Welcome!

Rob P

And if you'd rather do it more sedately from Old Buck instead of in one of those whizzy RV things, there's a few of us on here who fly the Shiny Colt and I'm sure one of us would be happy to oblige... :D

Ian
By Rob P
Highland Park wrote:... there's a few of us on here who fly the Shiny Colt and I'm sure one of us would be happy to oblige...

Both these aircraft were in the Norfolk skies on Tuesday. The Shiny Colt which was rejoining from the South cleared off for a while to allow us a circuit where we were testing the practicality of flying the downwind leg at cruise speed. Unnecessary, but very nice of him.

I think he just didn't want to land. (The newer Dave?)

Rob P