Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Hi all,

I passed my skills test last week, here are my notes on how it went (which I hope will help)!

The worst flight I ever had was my MOCK test - anything that could have gone wrong, did go wrong! I should have known that it was going to be "one of those days" when I found I'd left the ignition key in the flying school when I went for the starter.....Oh well, a couple of refresher sessions later & I was booked in for my skills test proper...

I will start by saying that in fact I really enjoyed the test! My examiner was at pains to point out that he was looking for a safe flight & not the next recruit for the Red Arrows! The route was Halfpenny Green to Oswestry & on towards Knighton - so a really nice trip around some lovely countryside with a MATZ penetration early in the flying at Shawbury.

Tip - Google Maps (other mapping available) - I had time to check out Oswestry & Knighton I took a good look at distinguishing features & the approaches...real confidence boost during the test when your sure, absolutely sure, that you're where you should be!

I took it slow and steady through the check-lists and initial radio calls - the (inevitable) nerves falling away as the now familiar routines kicked in. Its well worth remembering that you're only going to be doing things you've done before & your instructors know you can do properly.

Tip - "Talk your way through what you're doing; it shows the examiner that you're doing it right & it helps you settle as well.

Take off, climb out, leaving the overhead all went well & we were soon on our way to Oswestry. I like to chat, and it was nice to do so with the examiner (who I know was selected by the school to suit my personality)! We were soon overhead Shrewsbury, had a MATZ penetration sorted & all went well for the rest of the navigation exercise. The diversion, when it came, was from short of Knighton to Cannock - a longer diversion than the leg! No problem at all & we cut it short when approaching the school's training area South of Bridgenorth.

Some easy work on the VORs and the instruments only 180 turn & we were ready for the more challenging air work.

Tip - Remember to climb to safe altitude & make sure you do your HASELL & subsequent HELL checks. It helps of course as you have time between exercises to prepare for the next.

We did 360 45 degree bank turns both left and right, a full clean stall, a base-to-final stall and recovery from spiral dive. Then time for the PFL - something I really enjoy doing, and then a EFATO - both of these went really well, so back to the airfield for some circuit drills.

Tip - Have a good relax between the test phases; for example, you'll know how to find the airfield, so just fly safely & normally allowing yourself to de-stress!

Make a nice overhead join & the circuits were a touch and go, a "go-around" and a flapless landing. After landing, we did an aborted take-off & then taxied back in. My examiner simply said "Well that's a pass" and that was that! So then the paperwork started.....! (No change there then)!

So, it can be done! There are always times in the training when you think you'll never get it done, you may not enjoy the studying (I loved the technical aspects, enjoyed the navigation, was facilitated by the meteorology & hated the air law....).

One final observation; whilst we call this exercise the "skills test", our American cousins refer to it as the "check ride" - I wonder if they may have a point....the examiner is simply checking you can do it all safely & not looking for reasons to fail you......

To all that have posted on, and indeed moderated, these boards "Thanks". I have enjoyed & learned from peoples shared experiences & will keep returning to this excellent forum.

Good luck to all & enjoy your flying!
The Bassman
kingbing, FlightDek, MarkOlding and 4 others liked this