Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Abz4ever
Hi

Im taking my first trial lesson on the 25th of this month before I commit myself to the PPL. The cost in the UK is roughly around £160 which isn't cheap but I do go abroad a lot sometimes for work but mostly for a break. Are we allowed to take few lessons for example in Prague where the average cost is around £120ph and have them log the hours in the pilot book. I know different teachers won't know exactly where we are as you tend to have the same trainer. Another reason is having a different view to look out the window of.

So basically are we allowed to take lessons elsewhere e.g abroad. Are we allowed to take lessons with different schools in the UK as some tend to be offers on. I'm planning to pay my way monthly. :roll:

Thanks
By James33
So long as the person you are flying with is an instructor you can log hours wherever you want. :-)
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
James33 wrote:So long as the person you are flying with is an instructor you can log hours wherever you want. :-)

Maybe, but you would not necessarily be able to let those hours count towards the issue of a/your licence.

Taking some lessons here and there is really not going ensure that you will make adequate progress.

Having different instructors and different flying schools having to redo things as each will want to make sure you can do what your logbook suggests to their standard.

In addition eat each training outfit will need to become your training outfit by having your records.

1) Ad hoc flight training here and there will not work - both from an educational, practical and paperwork perspective;
2) doing training abroad in blocks is feasible but will need to be carefully planned and you need to make sure that the school will be able to train you for whatever you want to hold at the end of the process;
3) doing the training in the UK will be more expensive at the face of it and the vagaries of the UK weather will be an added source of frustration but may offer more continuity and a shorter/cheaper process in the end.
By makcooper
Does anyone know if it's possible to do the reverse? I'm a Brit learning in Greece. The flying's great and good, but I'm struggling with ground school (I'm 60+, busy, very non-techie) and, ironically, I'm also struggling with the language: Tests are in English but I'm assuming after translated into Greek then back again - as I often don't understand the question!!

Can I do one of the 'crash 5 day courses' I see advertised, in the UK, for the written exams and take that back to Greece as ticked?