Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By StuG
So after moaning about the weather, a break appears!

Route was Redhill>Sandown (isle of wight)>Lydd>Redhill.

Set off under pretty clear skies, some weather building out west but nothing to be too worried about. Routed Godalming to the Isle of Wight, being careful to stay clear of the HUGE aircraft carrier that's parked off the coast by Portsmouth.

A standard OH join into Sandown went fairly well, still some practise required, but felt that it went quite well - taxi to parking and time for a quick chat with some lovely people from Popham asking about the Katana I'd flown over in.

Jumped back in and it was off along the South Coast of England - slightly daunting to cross a body of water bigger than Bough Beech...but once used to it there were some cracking views en-route. Talked to Shoreham about passing south of the ATZ and well clear, but it helped to understand what was happening around me. Passed Brighton Marina and on towards Hastings - some low cloud here but ducked around it and was soon calling Lydd for approach information, there was another couple of guys who had a slight oil flap problem ahead, so in agreement with ATC, extended the circuit to allow the runway to be checked before landing.

Final leg was back to Redhill, I've done this route a couple of times which helped but there was a fair level of turbulence in the area - I bounced back towards Redhill and then set up for a straight in approach. A strong crosswind landing, slight bounce but I was home,

Such a great feeling, lovely to meet some nice people along the way! At the time it's a lot of work, but great to look back and enjoy the experience!

Thanks to the cubair team at Redhill who help out with the aircraft, and all the ATC en-route who helped!
johnm, flyingyod, QSD and 1 others liked this