Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

I'm 4 lessons in and in my last lesson I managed to fail to do even the simplest thing without making a complete pigs ear of it. To the extent that I detuned the radio rather than turning it off at the end of the lesson :oops:

Despite being 42 and a long time out of school, I'm in a career where I have to continually relearn stuff, and don't generally find learning a challenge. I read the lessons in the book, and it all makes absolute sense. Yet I'm doing a very good job of acting as if the entire concept of an aeroplane is new to me as soon as I get in that seat.

My flying instructor seems unconcerned, although he may just be an award-winning sufferer of fools.

I'm hoping some of you also went through a period of acting like a prize fool and might have some words of wisdom ... or at least commiseration!

Rachel
four lessons in and you are still there. That's a good sign, you haven't given up!

You'll be fine, there is a lot to absorb in the early hours especially if you don't have a flying background.

42 isn't old when it comes to learning to fly, lots of people learn later in life than that because that's the first time they can afford the cash and/or time to do it.

Try not to have too longer breaks between lessons, try to do 2 in a day as you'll get more from the second one.

Another 6 hours and you'll be back announcing "Solo!"
The three best tips I can give you are relax, enjoy, and spend as much time around the airfield as you can. Pilots love talking about flying, and you can learn a lot over a cup of coffee at a much lower cost than you can in the aircraft - just be aware that pilots also like to embellish some of their tales!

As for feeling like a numpty - don't sweat it. Every pilot makes mistakes, and your instructor's job is to let you make those mistakes safely so you learn from them. Just the other day I had a competent, qualified pilot who tried to exercise the prop (blue lever) during the run-up checks but used the mixture (red lever) instead. He got the 500rpm drop he was looking for, and another 1300rpm for good measure! Engine restarted and lesson learned...
Stick with it ma'am: You're sure to have good days and bad days but very rapidly the former will begin to outnumber the latter.

Many have said on here before me : don't be in too much of a rush: relax and enjoy your learning at a comfortable pace and don't be afraid to get your instructor to go over stuff again if you don't understand it first time.

Finally (and I assume you're doing the PPL), get the medical out of the way soon and start thinking about the first few exams. It's a great confidence boost to have a few exams under your belt at an early stage: it used to be that some schools insist you do air law before you go solo but stuff is always changing these days.

But most of all, enjoy it!

Peter
Sooty25 liked this
It's all part of the fun of it :)

You'll find that as you get 'comfortable' with one task or aspect of the lessons your instructor will give you something else to think about or something else to do. You'll start to recognise these little increases in workload for what they really signify - progress.

I've had some howlers of my own, but I won't bore you with those ;)

I'm by no means 'experienced', but I've certainly been where you are recently (my first solo was this week) so I think I know how you're feeling. Best advice I can give is to occasionally take a moment to take a deep breath and have a look around, remind yourself why you're flying in the first place :)

Beyond that (as others have said): relax and try to enjoy it, your instructor will push you but they're also there to make sure you get the most out of the learning experience and that you continue to progress safely; aim. For consistency and regularity, if I don't fly a minimum of once per week I find that I get out of touch with the 'plane and that puts me back; sometimes it's OK to stop and think for a second, and it's always better to ask a question if you're not sure about something; did I mention relaxing and enjoying it yet? I did? Good :)
rachelandrew wrote:
I'm hoping some of you also went through a period of acting like a prize fool

Still do!

But going back to my learning to fly days (not that long ago) I was exactly the same. Had periods of thinking I can't do this but luckily had a couple of great instructors who shared me depending on availability. Both very relaxed and great confidence givers. Regular lessons are the key. I learnt on microlights and loads of lessons were weathered off so suffered spells of no flying and then relearning stuff.

And there is much to be learnt from listening to other folk and indeed watching others mistakes.

Keep at it because when it all clicks and you go solo there is little to compare it to! :)
The answers is "Yes but not for ages because as soon as you get good at one bit your instructor loads you up with the next bit ;-)"

On top of that an aeroplane is a sub-optimal learning environment in SOOOO many ways. Think of it - no one would ever design a classroom or sit themselves down to learn independantly in an environment which was as

noisy-moving-cramped-cluttered-full of external interuptions

as an aeroplane cockpit...

AND brains learn quicker than bodies and there's no feeling in the world more frustrsting than the side effect of than which is when you know what you have to do and do it wrong anyway!

Both those things - the environment and the way we're wired are pretty much unavoidable.

So be gentle with your brain - it's up against ergonomics and biology...

It'll come. :D
Rob P liked this
Thanks all :D

I spend a great deal of time in the back of commercial aircraft as I travel a lot for work (currently sat in a hotel room in Alexandria, VA) so with that and the weather in Bristol, booking in lessons can be a bit tricky. I'm around a lot in August so keeping my fingers crossed for good weather and the hope I can get a bit of a run of lessons in. Might help to keep my inner idiot under control.

Got my medical booked, and enjoy learning the stuff in the books - but I am a professional nerd, and good at book-learning - it's transferring that to the plane I seem to be finding a challenge.

On the upside, I think it is entirely healthy to find oneself a hopeless beginner at things periodically!

Rachel
leiafee, Whizzchick liked this
rachelandrew wrote:.. it's transferring that to the plane I seem to be finding a challenge.

Aircraft or aeroplane please

That said, basically I have got by in private flying through thirty years of hopeless bumbling. But unless it kills you it is actually a pastime that is pretty tolerant of minor mistakes.

Welcome :D

Rob P