Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Ben Walter Bu
Hi folks,

I have started PPL training recently and obviously I will need to pass 9 theoretical exams. My FTO doesn't offer any ground school, only pre- and after flight briefings and the instructors seem to be too busy to explain things. I want to get prepared for the exams properly not only to pass them but gain knowledge and practical skills regarding weather forecasts, navigational calculations etc.
Can you recommend anyone in London/around North London? My friend said there is a good school at AOPA in Victoria, anyone tried that? Thanks a lot.
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Adam Winter does the AOPA sessions at Victoria - I believe every Tuesday and Thursday - more details here.
He also instructs at Flyer's Flying School at Elstree.

Morten
(disclaimer - he was also my instructor before the AOPA ground school started - but don't hold that against him)
T67M liked this
By BasherOfCircuits
I can definitely recommend Linda Wheeler. She isn't actually at Denham though she used to be ops manager (I think) there. She now works from home down the road in Gerrards Cross.
By Bathman
I've always thought the PPL groundschool is a waste of time and expensive.

If someone justs wants to pass then all the answers are available on the internet.

I also think too many groundschool providers simply teach the students the answers and thus their actual knowledge is superficial.

I also think the books are actually very good which is handy because there is information in there that you actually need.

As for the PPL theoretical exams they are not fit for purpose and its always our fault when people infringe.

Note: I only have experiene of two groud school providers