Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Greetings fellow flyers,
I have just recently gone solo, and have been given the task of planning a triangular short navigation exercise, I was wondering if there was anyone out there happy to share their experience and mentor me on this route planning exercise?
Experience is most cheaply gained second hand, as they say.

:D

not being lazy, just need a wiser head
I have done this a number of times, but mostly face to face over a pint in the local.

However I am happy to pass on what I have gleaned in thirty years and 800+ hours.

I have even retained my whizz wheel. I wonder if I can remember how to use it?

Rob P

If you PM me your e-mail address we can move to a simpler communication platform.
warrior_king liked this
I'm surprised nobody has said,

"turn on iPad"
"select SkyDemon"
"plan route"
"copy to chart and hand written plog"
"present to instructor!"

btw, there is a couple of free "CRP" training apps available in Google Play that confirm your calcs by showing the actual CRP movements.
Sooty25 wrote:I'm surprised nobody has said,

"turn on iPad"
"select SkyDemon"
"plan route"
"copy to chart and hand written plog"
"present to instructor!"

btw, there is a couple of free "CRP" training apps available in Google Play that confirm your calcs by showing the actual CRP movements.

SkyDemon works really well until you're asked to guess an impromptu heading for a diversion that's 30 miles away with a 30 knot cross wind at the height you're flying.

"hang on, I'll just load SkyDemon" really doesn't go down well with your FI.

Having said which, I use SkyDemon a lot for planning, but only after never opening it as a student.

Passenger asked me "what will we do if your phone goes flat" the other day, so I pulled the map out and said "don't worry, I make sure I keep current by flying just with this now and then"

It's quite fun writing down times, keeping headings and looking for waypoints.
Melanie Moxon liked this
Well WK had done all the hard work and a damned good fist he had made of it.

Not my place to plan the route for him anyway, but I was able to drop just a couple of hints, and to answer a few of the questions we all had when training. He'll now refine his work and I'll keep my fingers crossed that his instructor is happy.

Always fun helping out.

Rob P
Cessna57 liked this
Given the fact that the youtuber calculated leg times down to the second, I was surprised to see he didn't add some time for joining and flying the circuit. I always add two minutes to my plogs for that.