Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By StuG
Well today was a another milestone in my training - the first solo nav!

After looking like it would be touch and go weather wise this morning, I was given the green light to head out and do my little jaunt around south east England...although it really felt quite more impressive than that! Everything went well, a smooth departure out of Redhill, a lap of Tonbridge via some way points then back again - the guys in ATC were really good (both Redhill and Farnborough) - it all felt quite relaxed!

There are times during training, where it may feel like you're not getting it, or you're stressed because you didn't quite get it right - but these are the days that really feel rewarding, and definitely worth it!

Many thanks to the guys at Cubair for helping make the experience what it is.

A few exams then hopefully skills test awaits.

Stu
malcolmfrost, kingbing, Whizzchick and 6 others liked this
By kingbing
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Nice work! It's most satisfying - mine gave me more pride than my first solo. I felt like a real pilot on my own and out of sight of any airfield.

I have my qualifying cross country very soon, weather permitting. The hours and time between first solo nave and QXC were much more than I expected.
By Spooky
First solo nav was the best experience of my training. It all felt real for the first time and it was nice to know the instructor and school trusted me to do it!
By townleyc
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I well remember mine. Great feeling, but I totally missed my second turning point - Chelveston. Turned for home when I Was near Thurleigh (then) disused.

Admitted such to my instructor who just laughed and said that was why they used it - an old grass trip, so difficult to find. Still I got home all right!

KE
By law2gap
Well done great result. Just about to do my first solo nav hopefully in two weeks time weather permitting (and provided my next lesson on diversions inspires confidence!) . Did my second land away this weekend Denham to Connington and some solo rejoins the week before so it's all starting to feel very real - although I can imagine completing the solo nav exercise is a bit of a gear change.