Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Hi All,

I ceased flying with the AAC in 2000. I now want to get flying again. EASA, LAPL, NPPL, etc etc confusing to say the least and what’s going to happen in 2018.? Lots of advice needed please.

I believe I can (just) get a Class 2 medical if required and want to be able to fly (fixed wing probably) in UK with the odd hire perhaps in Europe with no more than a couple of passengers. I had around 3000 mil flying hours, mostly single pilot operations in those days, 85/90% rotary hours (Scout, Gazelle, Lynx) but some fixed wing time on chipmunk and Slingsby T76, master green mil IR and a VIP rating.

I appreciate that this is all ancient history and not likely to be given any accreditation but it shows where my experience level is. I’m currently based in Shropshire.

So fellow aviators where do I start? All advice gratefully received.
I'd say you start at Sleap.

A great airfield close to you. Arrange to meet the CFI, wander down there and talk to him face to face. This is by far the fastest route to enlightenment Grasshopper :wink:

Rob P
Rob P wrote:I'd say you start at Sleap.

Unless you live in the very best part of Shropshire, in which case Shobdon might be closer :)

APC

If you were going to go rotary then LAPL is definitely the way to go! Though I've yet to find a school that promotes it so unless you ask it probably won't be mentioned.

For fixed wing you might was well get an EASA PPL unless you particularly want/need to save a few quid by having a medical every 2 yeas instead of every year - BTW I'm assuming the 60 in the subject is your age.

MM
MercianMarcus wrote:
Unless you live in the very best part of Shropshire, in which case Shobdon might be closer :)

No, sorry. I have looked at the distances from Upton Magna and Sleap is much, much closer than Shobdon.

Rob P
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
https://www.raf.mod.uk/rafflyingclubs/Administration/qsp.cfm

If you have completed your FHT and have successfully graduated from EFT, then to gain an EASA Part-FCL PPL(A), you will need to complete the following:

All Ground Theory Exams
Qualifying Cross Country
Class 2 Medical
Have at least 10 hours solo and meet the x-country minimum
Pass a Skills Test

I would just like a National PPL

The accredication scheme for NPPL has gone untouched by the regulators. Please visit http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk/
I second that a LAPL is the best option for you and it only requires a LAPL medical cert which can be signed by your GP. Being ex-Army, I would recommend that you contact the RAF Cosford Flying Club (http://www.cosfordflyingclub.org/) and see if as a veteran you can join (we have a mix of serving, ex-serving and civilian members at my RAFFCA Club) as you will then have access to cheap instruction and aircraft hire. Also RAFFCA clubs use a lot of ex-mil instructors and use military training methods which you will be more used to.