Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Against past reluctance to do any flying in gusty windy conditions I made a decision today based upon past gliding experience and hours built with my PPL instructor - and a quick session of circuits the day before.

The previous day I thought it wise to do a few short field 40 deg flap & flapless landings on our grass strip as well as a couple of bad weather circuits to get used to throwing around the old C172 just to prove there are sometimes no kid gloves when keeping control of the flight in 'less friendly' conditions - a useful lesson. And something useful to push me out of my comfort zone.

So why was I doing my QXC solo today when it was gusting above my past experience leaving, and light showers outbound, and high wind gust conditions on the way back? Because it's a series of progressions: I had a safety factor outbound to cancel and a path to return (the A1), but as the day continued and I met those challenges. Gusty landing: techniques to cope. Cross wind here, no problem. And this is why the QXC exists - it gets you out of your comfort zone of circuits and into the real world of aviation.

Quoting the Gamston photographer at my arrival; "That was an interesting landing." Yes, it's landing a C172 like a Super Cub in gusty winds..."

Also would like to say a big thank you to Humberside Radar for their helpful professionalism and also to Conningsby Zone through whose and others CMATZ I had to swim.

Home at last, but don't let the fluffy clouds fool you...

Last edited by BirdsEyeView on Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob P, johnm, Danny and 2 others liked this
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Are you learning in your own aircraft ? I'd assumed after your recent Turweston post (in that aircraft) that you were a qualified pilot. Well done with the QXC; sometimes, you just have to push yourself and your limits (safely), it's how one learns and gains the necessary experience to give you flexibility in your flying.

Onwards and upwards :thumright:.

Iceman 8)
Iceman wrote:Are you learning in your own aircraft ? I'd assumed after your recent Turweston post (in that aircraft) that you were a qualified pilot. Well done with the QXC; sometimes, you just have to push yourself and your limits (safely), it's how one learns and gains the necessary experience to give you flexibility in your flying.

Onwards and upwards :thumright:.

No it's not mine, it belongs to Rutland Flying. I was at Turweston as my first solo land-away and tarmac landing, all with permission from my instructor so all good.

Paul_Sengupta wrote:I'd be quiet about that, lest they rename the services again as they're being mis-used...

Another zone (shall be nameless) often refuse service but they're probably just over worked. But for the limited time I can prefix my call with "student" most are very helpful and understanding that we have low solo hours and therefore of limited experience. Probably don't want to do all that paperwork if something goes wrong :)

FlightDek wrote:Not sure I would have had your gumption to try it. I can only applaud you :clap:

I have a good experienced instructor and we made the decision together, but he knows I would pull the plug on it at anytime if I was uncomfortable. I just followed the training, however I was wearing my lucky boots so all good :)
Whizzchick liked this