Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By BadgerByte
I'm based in Ipswich and looking to begin flying lessons in the next month.

Crowfield looks like the best bet at the moment, Cambridge will cost too much in petrol, Earls Colne is tempting due to the asphalt insert. Anyone have any thoughts / real life experience in this area who could provide advice?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Many thanks both - not sure if my reply to Cessna57 made it through so I may repeat myself!

I work near Bury so that could be more practical than first thought (perhaps if I took half days out of work). I also like the idea of a Cessna.

I'm very tempted by Earls Colne as I keep hearing good things. If the rate is still 140.5, that could help with the extra petrol.

How long would you usually expect to be on site for a lesson on these airfields?
Most of them take a slot of around 1.5 hours but you can take more than one. (around 2 hours including briefing and debriefing)
I was doing my LAPL intensively so I usually took 2 slots per day, with an hour lunch break in between and some ground schools as well.
(Norm's great burger and sausage roll is just at the entrance, and free coffee and tea in the clubhouse - so you will never be starved:)

I am working overseas and just can't wait to come back to EGSR in late July and gonna fly till mid-August. Hope to see you there:)
By Rob P
Heard lots of good stuff about Rougham, but mostly from C57 ;-)

A little further away is Old Buckenham, might be worth sticking your nose through the door there (Thursday to Sunday or by arrangement)

Andrewsfield is a lovely location with a great caff and by all accounts excellent training.

Rob P
By davelee212
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I got my PPL at Earls Colne and still fly the Robins from there and would recommend it. As Gary said, usually 1.5 hour slots, expect to fly about 1 hour of that. You'll likely do double slots later on when you do navigation exercises. It is still 140.50/hour for a Robin with an instructor, and you only actually pay for the time you're flying.

There are 5 Robins (one is actually an Alpha 120T with IFR kit if you fancy doing IMC/IR(R) later on) a Cessna 172 and I think a PA28. Availability of planes and instructors is usually very good.

To be fair, it's the only place I've flown from, so my opinion is based on rather narrow experience, but I like it! They do trial flights so maybe book in for one of those and see what you think of the school and the aircraft.

Dave
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm going to go for trial flights at Earls Colne and Rougham as suggested and see how it pans out. I'll also check out Clacton, would be perfect if someone could build a bridge over the Stour.
By c750X
Skyward are definitely worth a look. I first met Chris SR many years ago and the man will teach you to fly one way or the other. As has also been mentioned Clacton isn't too far away and the 610m strip and pretty low rates (and it used to take me less then 35 minutes to walk from the station!) all my old instructors have moved on since so can't comment on the current situation but I never had any bad experiences.
By garylaw
BadgerByte wrote:Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm going to go for trial flights at Earls Colne and Rougham as suggested and see how it pans out. I'll also check out Clacton, would be perfect if someone could build a bridge over the Stour.

Just let us know how you feel about those places.
Your verdicts would be beneficial to other people in the South East as well:)