Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Brad2523
My vote would go to Earls Colne - As you mention, both hard and grass runways available, clear of controlled airspace.

I recently completed my PPL there... Good facilities and friendly people. The Robins are very well kept and are a reasonable rate.

All the instructors are fantastic, especially Eddie and Malcolm. Through the summer there are lots of group activities and fly outs if that takes your fancy.

I am now part of a group at Duxford, but will be a regular visitor and should anything go wrong ( :!: ) with the group I am now part of I would gladly rejoin the flying club there and fly with them.

:thumleft:
By Bearsden
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Earles Colne is good, but I cannot recommend Andrewsfield enough. Good training, great atmosphere, very friendly and always something going on. There was a Fun Day last Sunday with some amazing flying skills on show.
Rob P liked this
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
When I trained, umpty years ago, I lived (still do) in Bury St Edmunds and trained at the now defunct Ipswich Airport: The journey was the reverse of what you would be doing if you were to train with Skyward Flight Training at Rougham: it was a perfectly manageble trip along the A14.

In fact a new relief road is shortly to open off the A14 to Rougham which avoids the need to go past Bury.

I have often dreamed of keeping our group a/c at Rougham which has 900M of smooth grass., but alas they have no hangarage as yet.
They have really taken off (pun intended) since moving from Gt Oakley via Crowfield and safetycom is full of 'Rougham ' radio traffic.

Chris S-R has checked me out on the school Archer as a stand in when our own a/c is unavailable and is a patient instructor..

Interest declared : I have known the proprietor and her husband for 30+ years both in a social and professional capacity and you couldn't find a nicer set-up to do your training.

Peter
Cessna57 liked this