Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By tfin25
I completed my QXC yesterday!

The route was Liverpool - Halfpenny Green - Blackpool - Liverpool.

The metars were showing visibility of 10KM or more. But as many of you will know it was only just 10KM for most of the day.

I did a Dual familiarisation flight to Blackpool in the morning, once the fog had cleared. Then once we were back at Liverpool It was time for lunch and the task of planning my QXC.

I took off at 1500Z and the vis was still rubbish. I was happy to see it start to improve as called up Shawbury for a MATZ penetration and basic service. Not long after the overhead at Shawbury I was speaking to Halfpenny green. They reported no circuit or inbound traffic so I opted for a cheeky right base approach to save a bit of time.

Landing fee at Wolverhampton paid, it was now off to Blackpool. The visibility was improving by the minute and the skies were clear - bliss! Shawbury was closed by now so I got a basic off London info and headed northbound.

As I’m familiar with Liverpool it was a no-brainer to get a zone transit from LPL radar through their Class D. After routing Oulton Park – Runcorn bridge – Kirby it was time to say goodbye to LPL radar and say hello to Warton. This leg felt like it took no time at all, after getting a MATZ penetration from Warton I was handed over to Blackpool and instructed to report right base for runway 16, to which I gladly obliged!

A quick turnaround at Blackpool and I was soon on the final leg. The visibility was now excellent – I didn’t even need to use my PLOG for the short hop back to Liverpool. The sun was getting low in the sky and the view across the Irish Sea was stunning. I re-joined the Liverpool zone via Seaforth and headed down the Mersey for a landing on their runway 09. DONE!

http://i.imgur.com/FwkFTk9.jpg

Next stop skills test…..after the last two exams :wall:
karlbown, Morten, kingbing and 3 others liked this
By pjl953
Congratulations! Sounds like you picked a good day for it - now to crack on with the skills test as that finish line is so close.

Peter
By akg1486
Good work! Reminds me of my own QXC in 2004: don't think I've ever been happier in an aircraft. It's a realization that you truly are a pilot and that not even the sky is the limit!

Now get on with those last pesky exams and the skills test!
By Cessna57
Excellent writeup !
Also reminds me of my QXC where I flew the last leg from local knowledge after a very stressful transponderless 2nd leg.
Yours sounds busy too !

Good luck for GST, more importantly...

ENJOY IT !!!
By seanjd
Congratulations :thumleft:

I was handed over to Blackpool and instructed to report right base for runway 16, to which I gladly obliged!

Hope you didn't, as Blackpool does not have a runway 16 :lol:

I'm sure it's just a typo :thumright:
By tfin25
Passed the last two exams yesterday! :D

So now I just need to find the time to do some revision flights and a skills test...
By FlightDek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Good luck

I still owe you the flight I promised

Cheers
Dek