Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By rachelandrew
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I thought I would say hello, as I have just completed all the forms to start training for my EASA PPL. I'll be learning at Bristol Flying Club - I did a trial flight with them at the end of last year.

This is something I've been thinking about for a while, and having just finished putting my daughter through theatre school and college I thought it was time I did something for me :D

I'm sure as I get started I'll have a lot of questions, and this seems like a friendly forum so I thought I would say hi!

Rachel
Rob P, Sir Morley Steven, Whizzchick and 1 others liked this
By Jon G4LJW
Welcome - I used to live in Bristol, and had a couple of lessons at Lulsgate. A nice area to fly around, if you don't mind waiting occasionally for the bigger traffic! :D
By FlightDek
Welcome to the world of the lost weekend and empty wallet. :lol:

I started my PPL at Bristol in 2001 with Bristol Flying Center. Only did 15 hours and then had to move with work. Took another 13 years before I continued my PPL at Hawarden.

Happy landings
Dek
By Skydweller
It's a fab way to spend any spare time; I'm sure you'll enjoy it enormously.

I started 13 years ago but with a business to run and 3 young children, I have had to take plenty of sabbatical's from the sky! Almost done now, with my 2 solo land always under my belt and my Cross Country Qualifier booked for this coming week......

The best advice I can offer is to go to a dedicated ground school for the tougher exams. For me these were Navigation, Meteorology & Aircraft Technical. Given my time again, I may do all the exams this way? Pro's & Con's to both BUT if you're short of quiet study time, a dedicated school can help.

Also - there are 2 fab App's now for the studying; easaPPLex and PPL tutor. Any spare half hour you get, AFTER STUDYING the books test yourself before committing to the exams.

Good luck & welcome to a fab new world.....
By Skydweller
It's a fab way to spend any spare time; I'm sure you'll enjoy it enormously.

I started 13 years ago but with a business to run and 3 young children, I have had to take plenty of sabbatical's from the sky! Almost done now, with my 2 solo land always under my belt and my Cross Country Qualifier booked for this coming week......

The best advice I can offer is to go to a dedicated ground school for the tougher exams. For me these were Navigation, Meteorology & Aircraft Technical. Given my time again, I may do all the exams this way? Pro's & Con's to both BUT if you're short of quiet study time, a dedicated school can help.

Also - there are 2 fab App's now for the studying; easaPPLex and PPL tutor. Any spare half hour you get, AFTER STUDYING the books test yourself before committing to the exams.

Good luck & welcome to a fab new world.....
By Whizzchick
Welcome,

I'm (still) doing my PPL at Bristol Flying, and its great fun, even though the weather is frustratingly bad up there. I have passed all the written exams and have just started to progress to the navigation bit - it's taking a while due to work and weather issues, ( I started back in 2014 at the age of 51) but it's great fun when you get a good flight in.

I may see you around, can't miss me, I'm the one with the white hair and the big grin!

Janet
By AerBabe
Paul - you are no longer invited to my birthday party.

Everyone else - welcome. What kind of cake do you like?
By Andrew Sinclair
Shameless Plug,

I am a Ground Examiner and RT Examiner based at Bristol and will do a good deal for anyone who brings cake :-)

Note: for the absolute avoidance of doubt the term 'deal' here means financial and not an easier/harder/different exam!!!! thanks for the many people who were really quick to point out my error :roll:
Last edited by Andrew Sinclair on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Flying badger
Welcome Rachel. Took me two years to get mine and I loved every minute of it. This site is great resource and I found it great to read about others' experiences especially when going through a sticky patch.