Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By SolutionMania
Hello,

I am now (with any luck) a few short months from completing my PPL, and thoughts are turning to what comes next.

It would seem that obtaining a share in something is likely to be more convenient and cost effective than hiring the club aircraft.

So - the question is, where are the best places to look for such shares? I've looked through the listings on AFORS - but there doesn't seem to be much about... Are there other useful places to look, or is it just a case of checking AFORS regularly until something crops up?

For info, I'd be looking for something with 4 seats based at Gloucester (EGBJ). A C172 or C182 would be ideal as my training has been in a 172.

Thanks,
- Chris
By Nick T
I put a 'wanted' message up on the Groups subforum here and was very swiftly linked with a gorgeous PA28 at Nottingham which I'm now proud to be part owner of.
I also did a 'wanted' on AFORS and had a few phone calls with offers.

Good luck :)
By Rich T
Being based at Gloucestershire, you should get onto their mailing list, as there's lots of useful airfield-related information passed on. I just had an email from them on this subject, if you drop them a line on their Ops email address (in the AIP) they will keep you informed.
By Melanie Moxon
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Being down south means you should be able to find something fairly easily for your budget, took me a while to find anything up north but I am now in the final stages of sorting out a share in a Firefly syndicate (went for a test flight on Saturday; lovely, lovely aeroplane, and I had forgotten how much fun aerobatics were).

Be aware that some of the aircraft with more complex additions (like the VP prop on a C182) may have a minimum hours stipulation (I found during my searches that 100hours appears to be the norm) so you may have to do a bit of hour building first if you want something like or contribute a little more to the insurance; if you prove competent some will allow lower hours pilots in the syndicate if they pay a little more towards the insurance until they have the required hours as well as the VP prop sign off flight with an instructor.

I used AFORS and a wanted ad on here but mailing lists and club notice boards (where available) are going to be a good bet too.
By SolutionMania
Great advice all round, thanks everyone!

I had a suspicion that a 'wet behind the ears' PPL may have some hoops to jump through when it came to complex types, so I'll set my expectations accordingly!

Thanks,
- Chris
By riverrock
You are likely to be better served down your way, but up here its as much about who you know as anything else.
Worth asking your instructor(s) as they are often in the middle of the gossip networks so may know about shares available.
By T67M
Definitely agree that talking to people at your local airfield is the way to go - my shareoplane rarely advertises shares when they become available as the word of mouth network usually results in a sale within a couple of weeks. Instructors are a good source of info since they spend a lot of time at the airfield and know many of the pilots based there.
By Melanie Moxon
A le Ron wrote:Limiting yourself to what you trained on is limiting yourself - don't!

Agreed, I was initially looking for something similar to what I had learned in (C150/C172 ) and after the 40 minute terst flight in the T67M on saturday I am glad I didn't go down that route :D
T67M liked this
By SolutionMania
Thanks everyone!

Point taken regarding other types - I'll definitely keep an open mind. That said, one of the things I'm most looking forward to is taking my family and friends out and about- so 4 seats is a must.

Also, at the risk of starting 'one of those' debates, I can't help thinking that a high wing will be easier for passengers to get in and out when compared to having to climb over a wing!? :?

- Chris
By Cessna57
I learnt on C150/152, but my share is in a PA28-140.
The only challenge I've found is 1 door only !

Only my Dad, who has one non bending leg is going to find it an issue. I can't help him in and out, so I need family members for "handling"!

It has 4 seats (w&b would be "interesting" with 4 adults though)but, you try and get 3 other people to fly with you as a newly qualified ppl.

It's not as easy as it sounds ;-)

I was thinking 150/152, but just as happy with PA28.
Last edited by Cessna57 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
By T67M
Four seats may not mean four adults - some struggle with two adults and a kid. Make sure you do the W&B before parting with any cash. Also remember that you can always hire a four seater if/when needed, but most flights IME will be solo or two up, so buy a share that meets the majority of your needs, not the once-a-year need. My personal estimate is that most planes need to fly about 300 hours per year to be cheaper than the same plane hired out if you can find one. With a group, that 300 is obviously divided between the pilots.

BillyNoMates.
townleyc, Spooky liked this