Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Miscellaneous
I'd suggest yo are asking, to use your own words, wet behind the ears question in 'automatically' assuming you should opt for what you learned in (or very similar). A common error.

I'd suggest looking for a share in an LAA Permit aircraft, more difficult to meet the perceived 4 seat requirement, but as T67M says; why buy, and drive a truck, all year when you only need to move stuff occasionally.

Actually, it amazes me how many people straight out of school don't know of the Permit alternative. Schools seem reluctant to share that info.
By Spooky
T67M wrote:Four seats may not mean four adults - some struggle with two adults and a kid. Make sure you do the W&B before parting with any cash.

Yep. I've seen an AA-5 struggle off the ground with four adults inside :|
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Find the aircraft you want, look on GINFO, contact the owner and ask if they want to sell a share.
UKGA is good for shares too. My club at Blackbushe has a full notice board and I personally know of several that are not advertised. Maybe ask the CFI of your club?
By Genghis the Engineer
Spooky wrote:
T67M wrote:Four seats may not mean four adults - some struggle with two adults and a kid. Make sure you do the W&B before parting with any cash.

Yep. I've seen an AA-5 struggle off the ground with four adults inside :|

Our syndicate AA5 got mildly bent by a new syndicate member doing just that.

He is no longer a syndicate member, and we now pay a bit more attention to weight and balance during the checkout.

Not that this is particularly an AA5 problem - more that it can be a bigger step than some realise going from a club/school environment where your flying is very closely monitored and controlled, to syndicate ownership, where you are expected to take far more responsibility for your own flying conduct.

G