Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By gjwel
When filling in a VFR flight log and calculating the heading what wind direction and speed should I use?

a) The actual wind from the departure airport
b) The forecast wind from the MET 214 at my intended altitude

(I'll be flying around 53'40N and the MET214 shows either 52'30N or 55'00N)
By David Wood
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The forecast wind aloft, drawn generally from the 214. Remember that the actual wind reported at your departure airfield (or any en route airfield) is the surface wind and will usually be around 30 degrees backed from the wind aloft and will be subtantially lighter.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
gjwel wrote:Thanks

So if I'm between two of the boxes I take an average
320/10 and 290/20 I should use 305/15

Pretty much and then adjust to reality once in the air.
By zouhadix
Hi guys...
surface wind isn't the wind that we will take as base of our calculation.. also at the level of flight the wind change constantly.... in direction and force.. so for VFR flight the visual reperes are our sure element of our flight....the given or forcasting wind should be taken as information element for our navigation....
By GolfHotel
johnm wrote:
gjwel wrote:Thanks

So if I'm between two of the boxes I take an average
320/10 and 290/20 I should use 305/15

Pretty much and then adjust to reality once in the air.

The "adjust to reality" bit is the critical bit here.

Don't expect the forecast to be right. It is on occasion just enough to make you wonder.
By WTSMG
gjwel wrote:When filling in a VFR flight log and calculating the heading what wind direction and speed should I use?

a) The actual wind from the departure airport
b) The forecast wind from the MET 214 at my intended altitude

(I'll be flying around 53'40N and the MET214 shows either 52'30N or 55'00N)

Hi

Not quite official met office data but I strongly recommend windyty.com

It will give you the surface/aloft wind data for any point on earth, with a 9 day prediction facility. You can select from three data sources, the default is the European centre for weather forecasting.

I used it during training in the UK and it was very accurate, even 2/3 days in advance.

It's also very good for working out what the pressure systems are doing.

By BirdsEyeView
gjwel wrote:When filling in a VFR flight log... and speed should I use?

MY (LIMITED) EXPERIENCE:
Depends on your aircraft's happy cruise speed, but the C172 for example (being my only practical experience) I aim for 90Kts IAS. Therefore IAS + CAS + 2% per 1,000ft altitude (as a quick estimate) which at 2,500 - 3,000 (which is a comfortable flying level for me) is about 96Kts TAS. Refer to your POH for IAS to CAS error correction. And if you are flying higher and pressure altitude becomes more significant use your whizz wheel to calculate for temperature and pressure, but for most of us students of GA I think most operate at or below 3,000 for our solo navs.

Having got your TAS and using your whiz wheel, you now can get the Ground Speed combining the W/V information from the Met Office 214 Spot Wind info.

I like Windy TV but there have been times it's not been accurate (for me), although graphics are great for visualisation. I find reading the METARS & TAFS useful and help to give a much more detailed picture, especially in my region.