Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By SolutionMania
I have a pretty common Pooley's kneeboard, like this one...

I'm curious to know how you're supposed to make use of the log that's printed on the front?! During my training I've been printing out PLOGs to write on (which I will probably continue to do) - I was just curious as to the intention behind the design... are you supposed to use a Tippex pen!?
By Rob P
That is there so Pooleys can charge you thirty quid for a kneeboard you could create with a velcro strap from Halfords and an A5 folder from Ryman for less than a fiver.

Some have a clear acetate cover over the top of that grid so you can write on it with a chinagraph

Rob P
By pjl953
That seems to be there on most kneeboards I have seen - never used it though, dark pen on a dark background won't end well, and I haven't come across (read: haven't looked for) a lighter one, just print them off and clip them on like you have been doing, it's just a whole lot easier, and if required you can turn it over and get a whole A5 piece of blank paper to scribble on :lol:

Peter
By Crash one
Much of that kit is peer pressure generated, "everyone does it". Along with the "flight bag" often the size of a portacabin.
I'm not a student "technically" and use the smallest backpack I could find. An A5 mini iPad kneeboard with a lid/clip for plogs, and iPad, still got and sometimes use, the CRP 1, protractor etc.
Don't waste too much money on aviation branded stuff.
That Pooleys kneeboard is a prime example, I agree, how are you supposed to use it?
What might be more useful would be an iPad holding kneeboard with the lid hinged at the top rather than the side, elastic bands to hold it shut, and to hold the notepad pages down , plus a belt strap so you could walk about looking cool without the notepad flapping in the breeze, the iPad falling out the side and the whole lot sliding down your leg round your ankle. :D
By Rob P
Crash one wrote:... the notepad flapping in the breeze, the iPad falling out the side and the whole lot sliding down your leg round your ankle

What's uncool about that? Just remember the white shirt with five gold bars on each shoulder and you can get away with anything.

Rob P
Bob Pooley is a great chap, but he often printed unusable cobblers on his kneeboards. I don't think that I know anybody who has ever found it useful beyond looking up the semicircular /quadrantal rule or the odd transponder code.

Use your own plogs, use the plastic sheet to keep the rain off if you're walking to the aeroplane on a wet day. Life will be happy.

G