Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By BirdsEyeView
Although I mentioned something in the main forum relating to East Midlands LARS, I thought I'd write a little overview of my experience of this personal landmark with my skills test now becoming the light at the end of the tunnel.

After two previous attempts abandoned due to visibility and low cloud in the last two weeks, I set out a lot more confident for the task ahead. Flying out of Shacklewell (Rutland Water) Shacklewell to Shacklewell, routing Wool Fox, Melton Mowbray, Boston, Spalding, Wool Fox.

I headed out of Wittering space below 1,000 feet to Wool Fox, an old satellite airfield for Cottesmore , itself a former shell of its glorious past with the A1 bisecting the two. The East of England, Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire regions are littered with remnants of WWII, now nothing more than navigational VRPs or added assurances for issues demanding force landings if you were unfortunate not to spot the many landable fields in this mainly rural area.

Late morning and spot wind reported as 270/15 at 2,000. Climbing in the C172 to altitude 2,000 over Wool Fox under a cloud base of about 3,000 it was already beginning to feel daunting. I had a brief zero g moment in the turning climb due to gusts, but under control as I was careful to make the turn shallow and wide, and having experience as a glider pilot the small amount of buffeting was not unexpected.

Turning heading 285 with Cottesmore on my right and the lovely view of Rutland Water on my left I was on my way to my first turn point at Melton Mowbray. After completing a FREDA check I was ready to contact East Midlands LARS on 134.175.

Having previously used Waddington, it was suggested I now use East Midlands for my west-bound leg, as my first turning point at Melton is close to their Class D airspace. It had also been noted that Waddington is becoming less accommodating or unavailable at times.

Contact made, intentions given and service requested, I heard East Midlands alert other traffic to my presence ("Traffic in sight" came two commercial-sounding confident responses; gosh, they're talking about me! But looking out I had no idea where THEY were). Lovely to hear a female ATC voice on my request for basic service, as being female myself it does feel less intimidating (at first) and clearer - just my impression.

EM gave me notice of activity at Langar (parachuting) and Saltby Gilding (Roger, G-ZV). I called to climb 2,500 (to clear the radio mast at 1,500 after my turn). She came back a couple of minutes later to confirm my routing, "I'll call my turn over MM to heading 060 Boston, G-ZV" I confidently replied, which she acknowledged, giving her assurance I was not about to bust their space 5nm to the west. Their communication was clear, helpful, especially more so because I prefixed my call sign with 'student' at first contact.

Turn accomplished and change of frequency to Conningsby, heading to Boston 33nm away to the NE sqawking 7000, second FREDA check, and the rest was relatively uneventful. The only exception was I did not request service from Conningsby as when listening out prior to planned contact I heard they had an 'urgency': aircraft running low on fuel requesting landing at Conningsby. I didn't think a student asking for service in uncontrolled airspace when they had their hands full was the best course of action. Useful what you hear when monitoring an adjacent ATZ, even picked up the latest QNH so all was fine - visibility was good navigational points confirmed and well clear of cloud on course as planned.

Wittering were lovely; I feel as though they are recognising me now. ETAs became ATAs (wow) back home for a gusty landing and a cup of tea and biscuit(s). Done it! Next, Marham, Lakenheath and some points south.

Picture below from my first attempt heading east to Boston. Haze was getting worse. Made the decision to back track my course via the A1 south and head home to fight another day.

Morten, Paul_Sengupta, Whizzchick and 10 others liked this
By PaulB
What a fab write up...
By MarkOlding
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Congrats Birds EyeView, I did my first solo nav a couple of weeks ago and did my first solo landaway on Saturday - White Waltham to Kemble.
Its a route I have done bits of a few times and so recognising land marks was farily easy, made easier by using the old Wroughton airfield (a big target !) as a turning point to Kemble.
A really enjoyable flight and a feeling of enormous satisafaction when I got back.
Im looking to get my QXC done by end of May now.