Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By vw-dan
Yes, I've done my RT exam :oops:

Did my first solo landaway this weekend (yay), but I had a complete blank when being handed between Approach, Tower and vice Versa. What EXACTLY should I be saying after "Contact Approach"?

For example, I took off on the run way heading and at about 700 ft got handed over to approach? That one was new to me- now I'm typing I'm thinking I should have said something like "Gloucester Approach, G-GABC 700ft QNH 1234 climbing away departing to the north"?
By FlightDek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
vw-dan

This is the situation I had when learning at Hawarden. Just the same as going to any new ATSU - who you are and what you want.

After being handed to Radar (same as approach) the call was

Hawarden Radar, G-ABCD request Basic service (or Traffic if required)

The be prepared to pass full details as usual if requested.

Cheers
Dek
By JonathanB
Sounds about right, you might want to include what altitude you're climbing to, I don't think you need to re-state the QNH but I could be wrong. With a "Contact" the next station have all your details.
By Morten
As it's "contact" they should have all your details. I have (maybe wrongly) always assumed that you should literally just let them know you are on frequency and if the new station wants anything else they will ask you. So I've typically done:
"Bigtown Approach/Radar, G-ABCD is on frequency"
or, sometimes you get a "contact with squawk"
"Bigtown Approach/Radar, G-ABCD is with you squawking 1234"

?

If I'm wrong I'd like to be told!

It seems rather random who you end up with. E.g. last time I transited Southend from the isle of Sheppey, I got handed from Radar to Approach, who then stayed with me until I asked to change to Elstree above the Lea valley reservoirs. Time before that over Luton, I went from Radar to Approach and back to Radar before I had left the zone...

Morten
Archard liked this
By davelee212
I rarely go into airfields with ATC but I'm pretty sure I was taught to do something like "xxx radar, callsign, squawking 1234" when told by xxxx tower to switch to xxx approach or whatever. I guess the "...squawking 1234" isn't strictly needed then.

Dave
By rikur_
on handover from tower to approach I would typically contact them with something akin to "tumbleweed approach, G-ABCD passing 1100ft in the climb to 3000ft".
The rationale for stating my current altitude is that it allows the approach controller to verify my mode C altitude; the rationale for passing the altitude that I'm climbing to is that it reconfirms a key piece of information that was probably agreed with the tower controller some time prior to take-off, and therefore a risk that either party now has a misexpectation.

At some airfields the approach controller will be able to hear the tower frequency at a reduced volume through their headset - so they will have heard the hand-off .... in other units the approach controller may be 100 miles away from the tower controller, and the hand-over facilitated between ATSAs - but in either case they should have your details and be expecting you.

At some airfields there won't be a hand-over, but a freecall - in which case there are often local agreements for standard departure procedures, so "tumbleweed approach, G-ABCD, echo departure, passing 1000ft"
By riverrock
If they already know me, and they will if I'm asked to contact them, I always just announce who I am - "Tumbleweed approach, G-ABCD".
And that's it.
They can then ask for any additional information they require or say the provided service (perhaps a radar control service if still within Class D).

If they wont already know about me (I'm free calling them) then I include a one or two word request so they know why I'm calling. As you'll have done in your RT exam, you don't need a service if you are just wanting a QDM, so they know they don't need to write down your info. so its:
Tumbleweed Approach, G-ABCD for basic service (or traffic service or transit, or join, or weather, or QDM).
This is especially important for those places using electronic boards, as they take much longer to input the data onto than paper strips, so they need to press the right buttons to be ready to accept info if they need to.
By nkt2000
I fly from Aberdeen so ATC is the norm. It usually goes something like this:

Aberdeen Tower: G-XY call Aberdeen Radar on 119.050
Me: 119.050 G-XY
Me: Aberdeen Radar G-XAXY Alt 1900 feet QNH 1019
Aberdeen Radar: G-XY Basic service on leaving controlled air space
Me: Basic service on leaving controlled air space G-XY (usually I am still in Class D at this point.)
Aberdeen Radar: G-XY Leaving controlled air space. Basic service. (sometimjes they ask what my route is if I am just going for a bimble.)
Me: Basic service G-XY

I have to say that the ATCOs at Aberdeen are very helpful. I feel that they understand that some of us GA types are not as experienced as the CAT that the usually deal with and are more than willing to help if needed. An example of this was the other week I was entering the zone via Peterhead lane from the north. Normally the Peterhead lane goes down the coast to either Balmeadie or Bridge of Don, depending on which runway is in use. Almost impossible to get lost. This time he asked if I wanted to route direct to left base for R16 or would I prefer to carry on down the PHD lane. My choice. There was a S92 following me in. I think he wanted to get me in before the helo but still gave me the choice. Went for the direct route natch. :thumleft:
Last edited by nkt2000 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PaulB
I'm a bit late to this, but surely if you've been handed over, the receiving unit will know who you are, what you are, your dep clearance and your squawk?

I just say g-abcd request basic service. ( or traffic as appropriate). This is outside CAS.
By GolfHotel
nkt2000 wrote:I fly from Aberdeen so ATC is the norm. It usually goes something like this:

Aberdeen Tower: G-XY call Aberdeen Radar on 119.050
Me: 119.050 G-XY
Me: Aberdeen Radar G-XYXA Alt 1900 feet QNH 1019
Aberdeen Radar: G-XY Basic service on leaving controlled air space
Me: Basic service on leaving controlled air space G-XY (usually I am still in Class D at this point.)
Aberdeen Radar: G-ZY Leaving controlled air space. Basic service. (sometimjes they ask what my route is if I am just going for a bimble.)
Me: Basic service G-XY

I have to say that the ATCOs at Aberdeen are very helpful. I feel that they understand that some of us GA types are not as experienced as the CAT that the usually deal with and are more than willing to help if needed. An example of this was the other week I was entering the zone via Peterhead lane from the north. Normally the Peterhead lane goes down the coast to either Balmeadie or Bridge of Don, depending on which runway is in use. Almost impossible to get lost. This time he asked if I wanted to route direct to left base for R16 or would I prefer to carry on down the PHD lane. My choice. There was a S92 following me in. I think he wanted to get me in before the helo but still gave me the choice. Went for the direct route natch. :thumleft:

Its unusual for ATCO's to abriviate call signs by leaving off the last two letters.

And I usually only reply to calls to me.

:D :D :D :D Only kidding. :D :lol:
By rikur_
PaulB wrote:I'm a bit late to this, but surely if you've been handed over, the receiving unit will know who you are, what you are, your dep clearance and your squawk?

I just say g-abcd request basic service. ( or traffic as appropriate). This is outside CAS.

if you've been handed over from tower to approach (or similar) at take-off the missing step is ATC verifying your mode C altitude .... include current altitude in the initial call and you get it all done in one call.

IIRC if you've been handed over there is no need to request a basic service (or TS), as this will have been coordinated as part of the handover.
By PaulB
Outside CAS I've not been asked for my passing altitude when requesting a basic service.