Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PaulB wrote:Outside CAS I've not been asked for my passing altitude when requesting a basic service.

It depends on the type of squawk being allocated.
Some squawks, such as conspicuity squawks, are annotated in the AIP (enr 1.6, section 2.6) as being 'altitude unverified and unreliable' - in which case there is no need for the ATCO to verify your altitude (albeit many units still do for good measure).

e.g. If I leave Doncaster VFR they will typically put me on their 6160 conspicuity squawk with no need to verify altitude, but if I depart IFR they will allocate me a unique squawk which requires altitude verification .... rather than think about what type of squawk I've got, it's just easier to always include the passing altitude.
By nkt2000
GolfHotel wrote:
nkt2000 wrote:I fly from Aberdeen so ATC is the norm. It usually goes something like this:

Aberdeen Tower: G-XY call Aberdeen Radar on 119.050
Me: 119.050 G-XY
Me: Aberdeen Radar G-XYXA Alt 1900 feet QNH 1019
Aberdeen Radar: G-XY Basic service on leaving controlled air space
Me: Basic service on leaving controlled air space G-XY (usually I am still in Class D at this point.)
Aberdeen Radar: G-ZY Leaving controlled air space. Basic service. (sometimjes they ask what my route is if I am just going for a bimble.)
Me: Basic service G-XY

I have to say that the ATCOs at Aberdeen are very helpful. I feel that they understand that some of us GA types are not as experienced as the CAT that the usually deal with and are more than willing to help if needed. An example of this was the other week I was entering the zone via Peterhead lane from the north. Normally the Peterhead lane goes down the coast to either Balmeadie or Bridge of Don, depending on which runway is in use. Almost impossible to get lost. This time he asked if I wanted to route direct to left base for R16 or would I prefer to carry on down the PHD lane. My choice. There was a S92 following me in. I think he wanted to get me in before the helo but still gave me the choice. Went for the direct route natch. :thumleft:

Its unusual for ATCO's to abriviate call signs by leaving off the last two letters.

And I usually only reply to calls to me.

:D :D :D :D Only kidding. :D :lol:

Dyslexia rlus ko
(Original post amended)
GolfHotel liked this
By SolutionMania
Evening!

I'm currently training at Gloucestershire Airport and I've been taught that the initial call after being handed off to approach should be, "Gloster Approach, G-ABCD Request Basic Service and Cotswold".
By PaulB
SolutionMania wrote:I'm currently training at Gloucestershire Airport and I've been taught that the initial call after being handed off to approach should be, "Gloster Approach, G-ABCD Request Basic Service and Cotswold".

If you're expecting a basic service, you won't require the regional pressure as you'll be using Gloster's QNH, won't you?

You may need the RPS when you leave Gloster but they often (always?) pass it at that point

..... not that I've ever set an RPS. :shock:
Yes... requesting the "Cotswold" RPS was taught to me as an optional extra at that point, but meant that we had it later when we did need it.

But as you say, thinking about it, it's usually given again later when the basic service is terminated.
By matspart3
vw-dan wrote:Yes, I've done my RT exam :oops:

Did my first solo landaway this weekend (yay), but I had a complete blank when being handed between Approach, Tower and vice Versa. What EXACTLY should I be saying after "Contact Approach"?

For example, I took off on the run way heading and at about 700 ft got handed over to approach? That one was new to me- now I'm typing I'm thinking I should have said something like "Gloucester Approach, G-GABC 700ft QNH 1234 climbing away departing to the north"?

Just checking in with your callsign is correct. The word 'contact' means 'establish communications with XXXX, your details have been passed.'

'Gloster Approach, G-GABC'
By matspart3
SolutionMania wrote:Evening!

I'm currently training at Gloucestershire Airport and I've been taught that the initial call after being handed off to approach should be, "Gloster Approach, G-ABCD Request Basic Service and Cotswold".

Staverton Flying School. You'll be given a Basic Service by default when flying VFR. Don't really see the point of using the Cotswold RPS these days, local QNH is fine.
By matspart3
PaulB wrote:You may need the RPS when you leave Gloster but they often (always?) pass it at that point

..... not that I've ever set an RPS. :shock:

We don't pass it anymore. It used to be on the ATIS but only a handful of people still use it.
By vw-dan
Not sure I'm any the wiser :D

But I got handed back to a frequency I'd been on (Radar -> Tower -> RADAR) as part of a transit and my instructor told me to go with "Suchandsuch RADAR, G-ABCD back with you"
By PaulB
I think the general point is that if you're being handed from one unit to another, the 2units will have spoken to each other before hand, so when the second one speaks to you, they know about you (probably who and what you are, where you're from and where you're going) so you don't need to do all of the pass your message stuff.

In the example above about being passed back, to a unit (like radar -> tower and back to radar (possibly fro a transit of an overhead) I'm not sure if there's any CAP 413 [1] phraseology so "Somewhere radar G-XXXX (with you)" is prob OK.

Are there any airfields with specific requirements (prob laid down in the AIP?). I know at Birmingham, the commercial traffic departing on a Std Instrument departure have a silent hand over to Radar and need to pass their call sign, passing altitude and SID. This only applies to IFR traffic, though.
By Dave_Ett
All these "back with you" and "on frequency" statements are just taking up bandwidth, all you need to state is your call sign since they know (1) you're on frequency - they can hear you, and (2) who you are as details have been passed.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
By flybymike
I always feel that if I only just give my call sign and don't actually say "with you" then they will just reply with something like;

"Yeah? ....So?...... Whaddaya want?"
By PaulB
So..... in a scenario OCAS where you were intending to transit the overhead and were in receipt of (say) a BS/TS form the Rad/App controller. They may hand you over to TWR to pass through the overhead, who will pass you back to the Rad/App controller when you're on the other side.

Would the BS/TS that you had previously still stand or do you need to renegotiate it?