Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
akg1486 wrote:This may be different from country to country, but I was taught to limit the initial call to station and call sign. The rationale being that even if the radio is silent, the station may not be ready for my details. I still follow this. When on an ATS flight plan, the station often knows everything about me. If not, I give the details when they respond.

I think CAP413 is fairly clear on that for the initial call - but the question here was relating to handover, where CAP413 is ambiguous.
By akg1486
rikur_ wrote:
akg1486 wrote:This may be different from country to country, but I was taught to limit the initial call to station and call sign. The rationale being that even if the radio is silent, the station may not be ready for my details. I still follow this. When on an ATS flight plan, the station often knows everything about me. If not, I give the details when they respond.

I think CAP413 is fairly clear on that for the initial call - but the question here was relating to handover, where CAP413 is ambiguous.

Sorry if I was unclear: I meant when being handed over from one station to another, like "contact approach" or "contact tower".
By alexbrett2
When departing Cambridge VFR, I know that approach/radar are going to need me to confirm the QNH, so I will normally give it on my first call ("Cambridge App/Rdr G-ABCD with QNH xxxx request basic service"), as that often allows them to just do a "QNH correct" in their response.

That being said, we do sometimes go through a cycle of saying it 3 times as they give it to me again, and as it's a mandatory readback I have to say it again, so not sure if it really saves time overall!

If radar is on and the frequency is quiet I might give my passing altitude, but normally don't bother as often they'll want me to squawk first and then ask for altitude after they've identified me, so it doesn't save any time.

If flying IFR, given I'll already have a squawk and typically a departure clearance to a particular altitude I'll do a "Cambridge App/Rdr G-ABCD passing altitude xxx for altitude yyy QNH zzzz request procedural/traffic service".