Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By FlyingNorth
I'm afraid you'll have to excuse my ignorance on this, but I'm trying to work out if the AT3 is suitable for me, physically.

I had flown the AT3 9 years ago when Sherburn first got them and I was much fitter (and lighter). Can anyone give me an idea of the maximum pilot weight for training in the AT3?

Sorry for this being such a banal question, I never got to the stage of learning how to calculate MTOW in my training.

Many thanks for any advice.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
FlyingNorth wrote:how to calculate MTOW in my training

MTOW is written down somewhere, probably in a pilot handbook.

The Wiki page (don't take it as gospel!) gives these figures:

Empty weight: 350 kg (771 lb)
Useful load: 232 kg (511 lb)
Max. takeoff weight: 582 kg (1,282 lb)

Take the weight of the fuel (0.72 x number of litres, in kg) from the useful load and you'll see how much is left for pilot, instructor + stuff. Also empty weight can vary from aircraft to aircraft depending on several factors such as avionics, etc.
FlyingNorth liked this
By FlyingNorth
Well just looking through, I'm not sure where they got that figure on the previous thread. If you're feeling 70l (50.4kg) that would give you 181kg which seems a bit more acceptable.
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
FlyingNorth wrote:how to calculate MTOW in my training

MTOW is written down somewhere, probably in a pilot handbook.

The Wiki page (don't take it as gospel!) gives these figures:

Empty weight: 350 kg (771 lb)
Useful load: 232 kg (511 lb)
Max. takeoff weight: 582 kg (1,282 lb)

Take the weight of the fuel (0.72 x number of litres, in kg) from the useful load and you'll see how much is left for pilot, instructor + stuff. Also empty weight can vary from aircraft to aircraft depending on several factors such as avionics, etc.

That's the same, or a bit more, than the useful load of a C152