Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If an AT-3 can lift you, a C152 will be able to. Might be worth seeing if they have any light instructors. But go and have a look at the place anyway, just because there are some nice aeroplanes there. You can then work out with an instructor what the weight and balance would be like to see if it's possible to get you, instructor and fuel in! Not saying that this would be the right decision, just that it's worth going to have a look, to rule it out or not rule it out.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
FlyingNorth wrote:
sapperkenno wrote:but when teaching from an uncontrolled field it becomes something many students are scared of!

Can this not be supplemented in learning though? I have always wondered if the workload of on the R/T at Sherburn is actually an advantage in the long run.

I wouldn't worry about it too much - a good instructor will expose you to the different types of radio usage during the course of your training. If you're going to be flying into airfields ranging from nothing, through safetycom, A/G, FISO, ATC then you'll want to cover them all.
I've seen pilots that have operated out of ATC airfields completely bewildered when it comes to the peculiarities of Safetycom - you could argue that Safetycom (and unmanned AGS frequencies) actually require more effort from the pilot than just following ATC instructions at larger airfields. e.g. You have to decide which runway to use, rather than simply being told. You have to judge how to respond to other aircraft's transmissions, and decide which calls to make yourself. etc
I have flown from all 3 and have some experience of Full Sutton and Breighton as training establishments.
Each one has their own advantages and disadvantages.
If you can fit into a 150/152 Breighton is very hard to beat for a one to one instructor/student relationship. The club does try to fully brief/debrief every lesson which is why they devote 2 hours to each booking. You still only pay actual flying time.
I am based at Full Sutton and there is no one better than Cas Smith to enthuse and engage student pilots. The costs are about the same as Breighton with a 150/PA28 Cherokee 140/PA28 161 Warrior/2x172s to rent and learn in.
Sherburn is a more "professional" School with all that that entails. A bit more expensive, but with more facilities. They do indeed have training nights and organised fly outs.
You could do worse than have an hour trial flight with each and good sense would dictate that you go along to each so that you get a feel of the Club.
ak7274 wrote:You could do worse than have an hour trial flight with each

I've flown an hour at FS and 7 hours at Sherburn some years ago. So I have a good feel for each in terms of their atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Sherburn, the fact that it's a bit more professional. But I also enjoy the down to earth, it's all about the flying attitude of Full Sutton... Not to mention FS is reasonably cheaper in comparison. I'd rather keep £1000 in my pocket for my flying!
Oh no. I didn't at all think you were.
I know where I would learn to fly and where I would fly from once I had my PPL.
I was just trying to give a fair if small critique of the 3 Schools discussed.
I have a foot in 2 out of the 3 Schools, so try to be fair all round.
I look forward to meeting you. :thumright:
FlyingNorth liked this
I would say do try Breighton out.
Having had lessons at both Breighton and FS my thoughts are that FS is a very relaxed and laid back place however the teaching environment at Breighton was much better.
As has been mentioned the pre and post flight briefing is great. It really does aid in the learning.
The instructor im with is pretty small and light. That works well for me being of the 'fuller figure' ;)
The club environment at Breighton still feels very informal and friendly but it feels more active from the limited time Ive spent at both.

I havent tried Sherburn so cant comment about there.
FlyingNorth liked this
YFS at Breighton keep a pretty low profile. I dropped by there some time ago to enquire about 3-axis microlight training. Which I knew they did from their website, and flying schools never have out of date websites right?

Couple of very nice and helpful gents in the very pleasant Breighton crew room (Paul's right - go there) sucked their teeth. "Microlights? Don't think they have any of those." "Perhaps you should try Rufforth."

Eventually got in touch with YFS by email and, sure enough, they do three-axis microlight training. And they were very helpful and accommodating answering my questions. Funny thing is, I subsequently talked to another guy who didn't even know Breighton have a training operation. Perhaps the fact it's parked away in a portacabin behind the hangar and away from the clubhouse doesn't help.

So, anyway, Breighton's worth a look.

Also worth a look if you're out east is Hull Aero Club at Beverley. I'm more familiar with the microlight side of things there, but they also have a GA training operation which I believe includes a 172 if you're after the heavy metal. It's a nice field and I think they've recently upgraded their training facility (or are maybe in the process of doing so).
For what it's worth.......

I didn't get along with the AT-3 either. A little too snug and a bit too skittish, worst part is the left throttle kept digging me in the knee. I know it's a little more an hour but you'll be better off in a PA28/152/172 at least that way you'll be in a good weight class when you start hiring after your PPL or want to take more then a friend and a couple of sandwiches somewhere! A 152 is ever so slightly wider then a 150, if if doesn't feel comfortable move the seat back and sit on a cushion to see over the coaming, then at least you can get full range of movement. Don't worry about the instructor, they are pretty used to being pinned against the door.

As for which field, I'm at Sherburn and liked it for the PPL, good practice flying in a circuit that can get quite busy and on the odd occasion there was always a spare PA28 nearby if one went tech.