Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Paul_Sengupta wrote:PilotAware has always (well, since well before general release) had its own GPS source, and yes, you can use that.

I thought as much, but couldn't quickly find it clearly spelled out anywhere... Glad you keep track of things :-)

ChrisRowland wrote:Carrington Event of 1859.

If the worst outcome of a modern Carrington event would be an airspace infringement, I would be one very happy bunny...
Modelling the impact of such an event is the wet dream of every insurance cat modeller (who do not model moggies, but try to estimate what is the catastrophic worst case scenario the insurer may have to pay for). Estimates rage from "final end of civilisation as we know it" to "a reboot of civilisation as we know it". Either way, not good news, and probably not a bad time to be up there at 2,000 feet looking down as the lights go out ;)

Morten
By Paul_Sengupta
Morten wrote:Either way, not good news, and probably not a bad time to be up there at 2,000 feet looking down as the lights go out ;)

Hmm, I don't know. It could affect my radio...

:clown:
By ChrisRowland
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Yep, always know where you are in relation to Didcot power station.

Or is that just me?

You should try doing a 300 km triangle in a Skylark. I remember spending an hour flying towards it, an hour flying past it, and an hour flying away from it.

Then there was the occasion when I was flying towards it from Wantage. It wasn't in sight in the haze but the calculator showed that I could get there at 1500 ft. I did and it was turned off. Fortunately the huge heap of coal alongside worked.

And launching from Greenham Common, gliding downwind to the power station, which I reached at about 800', climbed away and set off along the Vale of the White Horse to splash down in a field about half way to Swindon.

I'll miss it when it finally goes, it's been part of my gliding career.
By Temp
Several posts suggesting that GPS is unreliable - but don't forget that most cars are fitted with satnavs :? and they work faultlessly. They know within yards where the next roundabout is. Tractors use them to plough fields. Driverless cars (Gawdelpus!) will rely on them totally.

Why should aviation be so different?
By flybymike
It's quite possible that a solar storm of this magnitude could take out all the satellite navigation satellites - hopefully only temporarily.

That’ll certainly fill up the Airspace awareness infringement courses.