Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By karlbown
Well March has turned out to be a great month for my flying. I've already got over five hours in after only one in the whole of January and February.

I did my dual XC on Friday but went to bed last night expecting my QXC to be called off as the weather forecast was pretty poor. However this morning the rain had moved further south (sorry France), and I realised it might well be on. I got a call from the flying school - usually a bad sign - but it was to tell me that my aircraft was available half an hour early if I was.

So I was at the airfield at 11am, and in the PA28 at 11:15 (I'd done all my planning already) and in the air at 11:25 on the way from Gamston to Peterborough Conington. I had a lovely passage over Belvoir Castle and Bourne, a MATZ penetration over Wittering and a nice overhead join to Conington, though I must remember to set the QFE before entering the circuit! Luckily I was the only aircraft moving.

After a quick bathroom break I was quickly on my way to Humberside, via Boston. This is quite a long, and really quite dull leg, enlivened by flying close to The Wash and by a MATZ penetration over Coningsby, plus the 1500 foot mast near Ludford Magna. Humberside was quiet when I arrived so I got straight in. After a 20 minute round trip walk to pay at the terminal I started up, ready to head back to Gamston.

Unfortunately I'd picked a busy time to leave, as a Thomson jet got to taxi just before me. he lined up at Alpha, and I was asked to hold at Bravo. But then a Citation was coming in and I was told to move behind the jet at Alpha so the Citation could exit at Bravo (he then missed the turn off). The 737(?) trundled off down to take off on the 02 runway and I held well back as he took off in front of my nose. After a delay for wake turbulence I lined up on runway 28 and headed for the short leg back to Gamston and home.

A pleasant and relaxing flight home, then into the office to fill out the technical logs and it was all over.

I was so pleased to get this done. I wouldn't say it was an anti climax but I was certainly happy and confident doing it. I have my skills test practice this Friday, and all being well, I might have my skills test for real next week! The dream I've had since childhood is that much closer!
Morten, maxflying, Paul_Sengupta and 8 others liked this