Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By navidvivo
Hello everyone,

I have just started my PPL and have planned / financed all the way to CPL, I/R, MCC and JOC via the modular route.

I also look at all the job openings ALL OVER THE WORLD and I can't even find a position that requires less than 1500 hours at least.

I mean let say through all my training I manage to clock up around 150-200 hours and let sat then I pay for hour building of 200 hours around £20000. Where on earth ANYONE is gonna get the other 1000 hours. Surely you can't just pay for hour building.

I even checked Rwanda Air and they need at least 2000 hours for a FO.

I really want to know what everyone else think and how are they planning to get a job with these hour requirements.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The usual way of clocking up hours is to become an instructor.

If that's not for you, maybe get into gliding, do some glider towing, or something like that.

Many people going the modular route are those who have previously flown as a "hobby" so will have many of the required hours already. Otherwise you get a job doing something else (maybe aviation related to keep "in with the crowd") and build the hours out of your earnings. There are cheap-ish ways to fly if you're so inclined.

It's people off the integrated courses who seem to go straight into an airliner at a small number of hundreds of hours.
Ricky liked this
By Ben K
There are jobs out there, and low houred pilots are getting them.

In my experience (this is by no means authoritative), they fall into two main groups (not a hard and fast rule though);

-People with the bare 250 hours who went to one of the big three integrated schools, or a modular school with a good connection

-People who've networked well and have done the self improver route, i.e. instructing/paradrop, to light twins, to turboprop regionals, to Boeing/Airbuses.
I too am looking at going down this route but with only 200hrs to my name I started Gliding Towing at two local clubs which should give me 30-50 hours a year and then I fly my own aircraft and other club aircraft for another 30-50 meaning I will still only fly a max of 100hrs a year. With a young family I cannot really spare the time to fly much more as well work full time. So I guess I need to fly for another 10 years before I consider finishing the ATPL and applying for a job........

Gliding towing is fun and a great way to practice tight circuits as well as takeoffs and landings. I don't know many clubs that would be able to offer more than a few duties a month and each duty will result in 0-3 hours depending on the demand for tows. I work on an average of 6 tows per duty which is about an hour. I have been lucky to get a chance to aerotow and this was mainly based on my mid week availability which is where most clubs struggle. Also I have gliding experience which is favorable although not essential.

Since starting at one club I have increased my duties from 2 midweek days a month to 2 midweek and 1 weekend. I also got recommended to another club who was after somebody to fly their Pawnee as most my hours are on taildraggers. So I have now done a bit of towing on the Pawnee (which I love!!) and once the weather improves I should be flying another 2 duties a month with the other club meaning a total of 5 flying duties a month with an average of 1 flying hour per duty. Also I am volunteering to support some of the flying courses and competition weeks which should bring a few more hours. Also I view it as my first 'commerical' job ( it is not a commercial operation) even though I don't have a CPL and don't get paid but I am still providing a service to customers and so I approach it this way and try to be professional in my approach and conduct. This gives me a extra satisfaction that I don't get flying my aircraft to an airfield to sample their bacon and brie pannini!

So towing is unlikely to bring huge amounts of hours but it is a lot of fun and useful for developing certain areas of flying. Once you have your foot in the door then there could be opportunities to increase the amount of flying you do.

Good luck
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
One way is to get your instructors rating. You will amass the hours quicker and get paid for the privilege.
Of tou could benless fussy. There are plenty of commercial jobs not requiring 1000hours.