Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By CaptChaos
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Ricky, further to Irv's reply, the Air Pilots offering a number of scholarships including gliding for young potential pilots as well as PPLs. There is also an aptitude testing programme run in conjunction with a RAF at Cranwell to assess suitability for such a career. There is also a mentoring scheme. The Air League also have a scholarship scheme.

We all these schemes, enthusiasm and having taken some initiative to further the interest will stand you in good stead. Scholarships will also look at your academic results. Pilots like Paul Bonhomme started by pushing aircraft out of hangars and became a BA and display pilot as well as Red Bull Air Race World Champion.

Good luck and PM if you would like more information.
For completeness' sake I should note the BMAA also offer microlighting bursaries to young people aged 15-20: http://www.bmaa.org/pwpcontrol.php?pwpID=6289

They're quite clear it's for people "interested in microlight flying specifically and not just looking for a fast track to a pilot’s licence" though. So it depends if your interests lie in that direction.
Hi Ricky. I'm 22, and found myself very much in the same shoes as you are currently when I was at school/college so hopefully I can give you another useful option. I found the whole two years of college to be very pushy towards university, and as it turned out I was in the very small minority that didn't end up going as I just simply wasn't interested in any of the courses being offered.

I chose the 'start at the bottom and work your way up' route, and started applying for any job I could at any airport as soon as I left college. Keen to get started, I took the first thing I was offered, which was a baggage handling job at Gatwick. Not the most convenient for me with a 1 hour and 15 minutes commute to and from work at silly times of the day but it got me on the first rung of the ladder which was what was important. I worked a summer temp contract there and this small amount of experience got me straight in to the same job but with another ground handler at Heathrow which worked a lot better for me (much shorter commute, better pay, permanent contract).

I stayed in this job for around 2 years and gained a whole wealth of knowledge and experience whilst working in a (admittedly fairly easy) job that I enjoyed doing. I put myself forward for every opportunity up for grabs there and ended up doing loading, aircraft pushbacks, de-icing and even brake riding on Boeing 787's! If you are not familiar with this procedure, this is when someone is required to sit in the aircraft's cockpit and operate the brakes/systems/apu while the aircraft is towed between stands - very interesting for someone with an interest in flying. Most importantly, it paid a decent enough wage for a 19-20 year old living at home, topped up as often as I could with any overtime, which enabled me to save and gain my PPL.

Fast forward a little bit, I am now working in the operations department for a business jet charter and management company and have a PPL and more than 100 hours in my logbook. My short term flying goals are to gain the night and IR(R) ratings, whilst longer term is to still get my ATPL and get paid to do what I love. However! Like you I was fully fixated on becoming a pilot, but I have realised it is not the be all and end all. As it stands, I have an enjoyable career to pursue in my current area of work (and interest), which also allows me to get my flying fix, build hours, experience and ratings, whilst also saving for the future. Working in aviation has also given me many contacts and opportunities which wouldn't have been possible if I'd have chosen uni!

Sorry this has turned in to a bit of an essay but the main thing to draw is that motivation can and will get you a long way, and it seems you have bundles. In the short time I've been involved I've learned that experience in aviation is just as valuable if not more so than qualifications, but stick at your a levels and get the best grades you can! The main advice I have for you for the short term is to get out there and get involved with whatever you can (plenty of suggestions in the previous replies); do your best to get a part time job so you can have the odd trial flight here and there - I found flying to be extremely rewarding at the beginning even if it was a 45 minute local flight practicing turns and straight and level flight; draw up a rough plan, where do you want to be and when?; and try and get some work experience at a flying school - I managed to log nearly 3 hours for nothing in my week of work experience just sitting in with instructors ferrying aircraft to/from maintenance! Best of luck to you with whatever route you take and if you have any more questions feel free to send me a private message!

Be motivated but also don't forget to have fun in the mean time, I've lost count the amount of times I've been told "I wish I was your age again"!!! :thumright:
Dave W, Rob P, Paul_Sengupta and 3 others liked this
I'm sorry, but unfortunately I was away for a week and then I also got ill, so after coming home from school I just couldn't be bothered to read all those comments. I'm glad I found such a helpful community so please give me a day or two to go through this post and possibly reply if I find something interesting about which I would like to know more.

Also I'm starting an extended project in school soon so I though how about doing something involved with flying? Does anyone have any ideas how I could do an extended project based around flying or gliding? So far I only though about trying gliding and possibly gaining a license. But I'm not too sure how I could make it more interesting or what else I could do apart from that. Thank you again.
History of man's attempt to imitate the birds? Icarus? Leonardo da Vinci? Sir George Cayley? The discovery of aerofoil sections?.....there are lots of fascinating stories about the journey of disco very that led to the Wrights' eventual triumph (that, in itself is a hotly contested story!)
Aviation has a long history, it's a huge and fascinating subject Physics, mathematics, chemistry, meteorology, Metallurgy, engineering and probably other disciplines all come into it....go for it!
Genghis the Engineer wrote:How about making a wind tunnel and doing some "simple" experiments to measure lift and drag on a model aeroplane and observe the stall?
G

When I was at school we had a little wooden aerofoil section - span of an inch or so, chord of maybe 3 inches - mounted inside a small "wind tunnel". One of the science teachers made it in his spare time. It was literally made out of some sheet plastic, scrap wood and an old cooling blower from something (may have been a photocopier).

It was supposed to demonstrate Bernoulli's principle, though in retrospect the aerofoil section was secured in place a bit like a kite so it was actually probably a better demonstration of angle of attack.

Certainly an achievable project for a young person, and you could probably improve on it in several ways e.g. introduce a weight component and show how that affects the other forces, change the angle of attack, change the airspeed, something like smoke to show airflow breaking away at the stall etc.

So basically what Genghis said :D