Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Rob P
pjl953 wrote: ...and not just choosing one, trimming for best glide, and then going through restart checks

Apologies if this cuts across what you have been taught, but shouldn't best glide speed come first?

Rob P
By vw-dan
I'm still a student so take with a grain of salt, but I read some (admittedly American) stats that said the vast majority of fatalities in a land-out situation involved a stall and/or spin. So, to that end, it's my belief that maintaining a controlled approach onto almost anything is better than stretching it for the perfect field.
Flyin'Dutch', T67M, Crash one and 1 others liked this
By Crash one
vw-dan wrote:I'm still a student so take with a grain of salt, but I read some (admittedly American) stats that said the vast majority of fatalities in a land-out situation involved a stall and/or spin. So, to that end, it's my belief that maintaining a controlled approach onto almost anything is better than stretching it for the perfect field.

Better to go through the far end fence at 20knots than the near fence at 65knots.
By mick w
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
" Better to go through the far end fence at 20knots than the near fence at 65knots. "

Better still , don't hit either !!. :wink:

Don't take offence . :lol:
By akg1486
pjl953 wrote:Thanks guys, with the skills test postponed to next Sunday due weather, I have more time to worry now!

The above was a month ago. How did it go? Did the weather cooperate?
By BirdsEyeView
Have been doing a few PFLs this week, and previously as a glider pilot they became less daunting if you don't get fixated on trying to choose the 'perfect' field or have done PFLs in the safety of a motor glider. For most Xcountry gliders 'landing-out' is a likely event.

But one thing that did spoil things was being able to quickly identify surface wind direction when there are no smoke stacks, wind turbines, ripples on lakes etc to help. And of course wind heading at 2,000 ft could be veered etc so cloud drift direction (if you can spot it) doesn't really help and especially if there are no clouds or its stratus.

Asked that question yesterday of my instructor: simple he says, look at your DI. You already know your takeoff runway heading and the wind bearing at the time; use the take off heading as a rough guide as to what the direction of your intended circuit and field landing into or close to wind might be. Works for me, although may not for the longer distance flyer.