Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Mikea269
Hey guys

I'm on my 10 lesson now. I now we all say spend money on flying but the schools headsets are all different sizes and getting damaged by other students

As today been flying and all a sudden I could not hear in one side and the tower was very quiet

So my question is what is the best head set for us students?? :D :D
By Cessna57
How deep are your pockets ;-)

I bought a pair of DC 10-40 's off eBay and then replaced the ear seals and mic sock. Took them apart and gave everything a good clean.

I did this only because I like the 10-40's (I like the old style mic boom)

DC 13.4's (the modern ones) are supposed to be good.

My 10-40's were about £120 iirc. + £30 for new ear seals.

DC 13.4's available from all good stockists.

Deep pockets ?
Lots of ANR options, or Bose etc.
By MarkOlding
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I bought a set of DC 10-13.4 from ebay for £120 and they have been great - new ear bits and microphone sock as suggested and they even came with a case.
Recommended
By Nick T
Throwing my tuppence into the 'deep pocket' chat - I blew a grand on the Lightspeed Zulu PFX before I went solo. Awesome headset - can't see me replacing it until it literally falls to pieces :)
By davelee212
I bought a Flightcom 4DLX from flightstore. I think it was about £140 at the time, seems more expensive now. I only ever fly for 1-2 hrs max at a time and it's perfectly comfortable and has decent noise reduction... not as good as a Lightspeed or Bose with ANR but pretty good for the money.

Dave
By tehmarks
I bought a used Bose X from a member on here, and it's the best money I've spent to date. When I get out of the aircraft now I don't feel like someone has been beating my head with a percussion mallet for the past few hours.

I had the money available though, and it's an investment which is going to last many years to come. If I was struggling to scrape the money together for lessons, I absolutely wouldn't have bothered.
By modularpilot
I started with the david clark 10-13.4 used the through my PPL from about lesson 5 to about 5 hours after it. Great head set, however it is still a passive headset.
I then got some Bose A20's, much better for your ears and more comfortable to wear, however they are not cheap.

If you can afford ANR then do it, I probably should have upgraded early to be fair, you only get one set of ears and you should protect your hearing.
By nkt2000
I bought a Lightspeed Sierra half way through my training as this was recommended by my instructor. No regrets, great piece of kit and with ANR and bluetooth but a bit more expensive than a DC.
By Paul_Sengupta
tehmarks wrote:I bought a used Bose X from a member on here, and it's the best money I've spent to date.

I have a Bose X for sale, £375. I had promised it to another forumite but he hasn't got back to me at all on it, so open house! :D Comes with a spare (new) pair of earseals.
By JPSmith2476
I have Bose A20, David Clarke 13-4 (with a Richard Holder ANR fit) and Bose QC25 with a UFlyMike modular mic setup.

The range in price is £900 ish for the A20, about £400 for the David Clarke and £390 for the Bose QC25 UFlyMike setup.

For comfort there is no comparison, Bose QC25 UFlyMike wins hands down, performance A20, (not by as much as the £500 difference in price suggests).

Cheers

Jim
By Bluewings
Bought a set of David Clarke with after market ANR for around £90 on ebay a few months ago, cant fault them at all, (I did buy new ear seals for them)
I also had a cheap set from transair about 10 years ago used them a bit then they sat in a draw for a few years then I dug them out replaced the ear seals and used them quiet a lot over the last year when I got back into flying and they still work great today.

I think its worth having your own headset even if it is a cheap one, its more hygienic, you can look after them and not have to readjust them each flight.