Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Hi all,

The airfield manager at Duxford told me they have reduced landing fees for students the other day.

£7

It's not for everyone though as sometimes you have to sit at the hold while a Spitfire taxi's past.
That can be annoying.

It can also be really annoying if one of the Tiger Moths is doing an impromptu display over the airfield, (as I watched the other day whilst sitting in the 'plane) and recently I was sharing the circuit with a chinook who kept practising hovering backwards along the runway. Oh what fun,
"Can you clear the runway please, the PA28 is turning final shortly"

They're also allowing as many circuits as you like on their grass or hard at £20 an hour. (bookable in half hour slots)

Both include a look around the museum if you have time, or at least a walk past/under a VC10 parked outside and a gaze up at it's tail plane in amazement as you notice it is bigger than your aircraft.

They want people to realise Duxford is accessible, even to students, has full time FISO's, 2 lovely runways, and a reasonable sized circuit.

Wish I'd have known I could land for £7 and it was so friendly there back when I was training.
Last edited by Cessna57 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
leiafee, karlbown liked this
I visited the museum at Duxford with my son and two of his boys between Christmas and New Year. What a great place. Well worth the money. We also got to see some helicopters landing (the boys loved that), and an aeros display by an old biplane. I will defo go back for a museum visit but I would love the opportunity to fly in there. It's a long way from Aberdeen though but it is on my bucket list.