Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

I did my Qualifying Cross Country Nav on Monday. :D

From Bristol up to Shobdon, across to Halfpenny Green and back down to Bristol. Just wanted to say thank you to all the guys (and girls) at the airfields for being very nice and not speaking too fast on the radio! It was a glorious day for flying, and one I shall remember for a long time.

Jan
ArthurG, Iceman, Dave W and 2 others liked this
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi Skylaunch,

The question of "other ways to the SEP PPL" often arises in threads and it seems you've found one. It'd be interesting (maybe in a separate thread) to understand how the conversion worked for you, what were the final costs, how long did it take you, what would you do different now, etc. ?

Well done so far and good luck with the rest :thumleft:

Morten
I did the same thing, starting last year. Gliding to NPPL SLMG - 10 hours. Well 12 including the tests.
Then SLMG to SSEA - 4 hours.
Glider towing
Now started the taildragger differences.
Planning to convert this lot to a LAPL by next April.

50 years of gliding, current full instructor's rating helps a lot.
Skylaunch2 liked this
Morten wrote:Hi Skylaunch,

The question of "other ways to the SEP PPL" often arises in threads and it seems you've found one. It'd be interesting (maybe in a separate thread) to understand how the conversion worked for you, what were the final costs, how long did it take you, what would you do different now, etc. ?

Well done so far and good luck with the rest :thumleft:

Morten

Morten

I'll quickly post here

I completed most of the course in 3 months or so a few years ago on a scholarship.
However I was sponsored into gliding instructing a few months after and had to spend time on that before doing that professionally which I very much enjoy doing. Now that I've had the time I've managed to finish it off, but it could've been completed much quicker. I was only required to do around 10hrs to convert (I have over 700 gliding hours)

Cost? It would've cost around £1400 in total (Including all exams) but I was lucky to have a £1k scholarship which I'm very grateful for.

Looking back I should've completed this a lot earlier instead of leaving it on the backburner as it means I'm now very close to the FCL deadline so will not get as many things on grandfather rights. Learning to fly SLMGs at a gliding club does require more time and patience as it all relies on volunteers, but it's very social and cost effective (under 100 an hour & no landing fees.)

If anyone has any further questions about going from gliding to power flying feel free to DM
I went solo and was signed-off on the Pitts Special yesterday. I'm absolutely ecstatic - it has to be one of my, if not the most nerve-racking but satisfying days flying to date.

I will leave it to Morten to decide whether or not this deserves an inclusion in the sign-off section. Either way, I thought it was worth a quick brag :D
Morten, AndyR, MarkOlding liked this