Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By kingbing
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kingbing wrote:Did my SEP - QXC today after weeks of waiting for decent enough weather. Phew,

North Weald - Shoreham - Lydd - North Weald.

And the nice folks at Lydd made sure the 18kts was down the runway....

Just skills test and FRTOL to go. 54 hrs so far. Hours are never wasted, I know, but doing the QXC with my instructor twice seemed excessive (as well as expensive).

BUMP. Mod: can you add me to the achievements list? Thanks.
By MarkOlding
Well its taken 17 months and 14 days, 76 flights, 51.9 hours dual and 11.2 solo and today I passed the skills test.
Due to the weather we did it in two parts with the flying test this morning and the nav 3 hours later. The diversion became more than an exercise due to heavy rain showers and now I am feeling very tired having had 4 hours sleep last night - the result of BUMFICHHL, FREDA, HASELL and some other things going round and round my head.
At least I have now convinced my wife that she has nothing to worry about with FREDA and HASELL.....
Shiny, kingbing liked this
ATPL theory exams done with first time passes! To say I'm happy must be the understatement of the year. Have focused on nothing but this and aerobatics for the last 8 months. Won't know what to do with myself (.......apart for more aerobatics ..... ).

Right .............. now to choose a school for the CPL course :D
MarkOlding liked this
Jelunga wrote:Just to put the icing on the cake, my first flight with a passenger after passing my skills test in July, and waiting waiting waiting my my license, culminated with me winning the East Staffs F.C Spot Landing competition!!
Chuffed with that.
Wow well done!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
By kingbing
After 16 months and 56 hours, i passed my General Flying Test today! All exams and FRTOL done too, so paperwork off to CAA on Monday for my PPL (A). I shall miss my instructor. And I am still amazed that I can be in charge. What a privilege.

Test went well, with no obvious major errors. I rather enjoyed it in the end, once nerves had settled. Some of my better landings too. I thank the gods for the weather - 7kts at 170 made nav a breeze and wind pretty much down the runway. Really good visibility. Stalls fine, though PFLs not my best, they were fine.

After a lot of work and dedication, I am very proud.
Shiny, flyingyod, MarkOlding and 1 others liked this
By MarkOlding
kingbing wrote:After 16 months and 56 hours, i passed my General Flying Test today! All exams and FRTOL done too, so paperwork off to CAA on Monday for my PPL (A). I shall miss my instructor. And I am still amazed that I can be in charge. What a privilege.

Test went well, with no obvious major errors. I rather enjoyed it in the end, once nerves had settled. Some of my better landings too. I thank the gods for the weather - 7kts at 170 made nav a breeze and wind pretty much down the runway. Really good visibility. Stalls fine, though PFLs not my best, they were fine.

After a lot of work and dedication, I am very proud.

Congratulations KB, wait till you take your 1st flight as a new PPL holder. I went up on Saturday and did an extended lap around Benson using M40, A34 and M4 as my landmarks. It was weird not being told what to plan and where to go.
Have fun
kingbing liked this