Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By EwanDunn
Hi,
I am a 15 year old student currently( school that is not flying,yet!) and I am unsure on which path to take.

Since I can remember I've wanted to be a pilot, but as I get older I realise that I will never be able to fund the training myself. This has left me with a bit of a dilemma.

Do I train through the RAF, serve the required time, then convert to commercial? Or is there a way I could go into commercial straight away, without paying as much.

I'm just looking for the opinions of those who have been in my situation and have done it.

Thanks in advance,Ewan.
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi Ewan. Where do you live? If you find a friendly flying school you could do work there and build up flying vouchers.
If you google "flying scholarships" you will also find many organisations who award them.
The bank of mum and dad might help if you promise to take them to Le Touquet for lunch!
We had a PPL student who got a job in a garden centre to pay for flying lessons. He is now an officer in the RAF. Another two PPL students are now with BA under the cadet scheme.
The Other Ian liked this
By Bathman
There are a million routes and I know people that have spent 120 grand and people who have spend 32 thousand. Go to your local airfield, talk to as many people as you can.have a few flights and see if its for you. Finally be wary of what the marketing departments tell you.
By EwanDunn
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Hi Ewan. Where do you live? If you find a friendly flying school you could do work there and build up flying vouchers.
If you google "flying scholarships" you will also find many organisations who award them.
The bank of mum and dad might help if you promise to take them to Le Touquet for lunch!
We had a PPL student who got a job in a garden centre to pay for flying lessons. He is now an officer in the RAF. Another two PPL students are now with BA under the cadet scheme.

Thanks for the reply! I live near Glasgow airport and have had 3 45 minute flights there so far. But I will google 'flying scholarships' and hope I find something.
Thanks again,Ewan
By EwanDunn
Bathman wrote:There are a million routes and I know people that have spent 120 grand and people who have spend 32 thousand. Go to your local airfield, talk to as many people as you can.have a few flights and see if its for you. Finally be wary of what the marketing departments tell you.

Thanks for the advice about the local airfields! What do you mean about the marketing departments?
By Paul_Sengupta
EwanDunn wrote:What do you mean about the marketing departments?

Some commercial flying schools will promise you all sorts of things at the end of your course, if you just hand over your soul to them.

Regarding the RAF, try for that if you really want to go into the RAF, not with thoughts to a civil career afterwards.

With the ups and downs of the aviation industry it would be wise to pick a secondary career, as even if you do get a commercial job, it may not last and you may need something to fall back on which isn't stacking shelves at a supermarket. Other careers can also allow you to earn flying tokens while you train.

As an aside, I used to have a friend called Ewan Dunn, but he's a bit older than you! :D
By Genghis the Engineer
Do I train through the RAF, serve the required time, then convert to commercial? Or is there a way I could go into commercial straight away, without paying as much.

Sorry, this is a wind up isn't it?

A 15 year old, with potential to - for example - fly a Typhoon or an Apache, who only sees that as a route to a job as a scheduled shiftworker in an airliner?

Not to mention writing perfect written English, yet not having apparently found the huge amount of information on the web about pilot careers - for a start the widely repeated advice that the services wil sniff out and reject immediately anybody just using them as a route to a commercial job, as they want people who really want to serve.

If you are genuine - you'll find a huge amount of free information here, and best of luck. Also join your local air cadets. There are many fantastic careers in aviation, I've had several!

http://bwpa.co.uk/docs/gapanbroch.pdf

http://yesflyers.org.uk/so-you-want-to-be-a-pilot/

http://www.careersinaerospace.com/

G
By EwanDunn
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
EwanDunn wrote:What do you mean about the marketing departments?

Some commercial flying schools will promise you all sorts of things at the end of your course, if you just hand over your soul to them.

Regarding the RAF, try for that if you really want to go into the RAF, not with thoughts to a civil career afterwards.

With the ups and downs of the aviation industry it would be wise to pick a secondary career, as even if you do get a commercial job, it may not last and you may need something to fall back on which isn't stacking shelves at a supermarket. Other careers can also allow you to earn flying tokens while you train.

As an aside, I used to have a friend called Ewan Dunn, but he's a bit older than you! :D

Haha always thought I was the only Ewan Dunn!

Thanks for your reply, I understand now thanks.

I've only had a small think before about a fall back and decided on atc. But now you meantion about ups and downs in the industry, I may have to think of more.

Thanks again,Ewan
By EwanDunn
Genghis the Engineer wrote:

Sorry, this is a wind up isn't it?

A 15 year old, with potential to - for example - fly a Typhoon or an Apache, who only sees that as a route to a job as a scheduled shiftworker in an airliner?

Not to mention writing perfect written English, yet not having apparently found the huge amount of information on the web about pilot careers - for a start the widely repeated advice that the services wil sniff out and reject immediately anybody just using them as a route to a commercial job, as they want people who really want to serve.

If you are genuine - you'll find a huge amount of free information here, and best of luck. Also join your local air cadets. There are many fantastic careers in aviation, I've had several!

http://bwpa.co.uk/docs/gapanbroch.pdf

http://yesflyers.org.uk/so-you-want-to-be-a-pilot/

http://www.careersinaerospace.com/

G

Thanks for your advice on air cadets and the links.

I am genuine and yes I sort of realised that it would seem a bit strange. But it's been suggested to me and I just wanted the opinions of people who have possibly done it. As in regards to me finding information on the internet, I have found a lot, but again, I just wanted the opinions of others.

Thanks again,Ewan
By webdevduck
A number of gliding clubs offer heavily reduced prices for juniors and cadets, one even offers free training. That's a good way to get started and learn handling, and a limited amount of P1 gliding hours can be credited towards a PPL (10hrs) and a CPL (30hrs) after moving into power.

The Air League offer a number of scholarships and bursaries for both flying and gliding, and is worth investigating. The Royal Aero Club Trust is another potential avenue to help you get started.
By Paul_Sengupta
Indeed, for the moment try not to worry about flying as a career. Get yourself into flying any way you can - whether this is getting a weekend job either in the flying sector or otherwise just to pay for some flying, or whether it's getting bursaries, subsidised flying, etc, just get down and start. Once you're "inside", then you'll get a lot more familiar with the routes. Don't depend on it as a career choice, if it doesn't work out you can have your backup career and still fly as a personal interest thing.