Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By pcessna
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any advice for practicing RT, in particular read backs? I've got an airband scanner which is ok if the frequency is busy but thinking if there's any videos online that I can use to help? Thanks
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
When I worked in BA engineering we had approach frequency permanently on in the ramp office (to give us a heads up on arrivals) .... I never realised it at the time, but I learnt not just the phonetic alphabet and correct phraseology, but also the typical interaction and the atypical things such as requesting a diversion or dealing with weather. Before I ever sat in the plane, I pretty much knew the RT. So my advice would be just listen to as much as you can.
By FlightDek
Try looking for the following on YouTube

Plane Old Ben
Andy Torkington
The Flying Reporter

They all have videos with the RT recorded. I found them helpful in picking up the exchanges.

Dek
By OptiGone
FlightDek wrote:Try looking for the following on YouTube

Plane Old Ben
Andy Torkington
The Flying Reporter

They all have videos with the RT recorded. I found them helpful in picking up the exchanges.

Dek

I read this thread earlier and was going to type an exact copy of your post but was on my way out.

Sound advice above, those videos above are by far the best way of picking up the exchanges.
By Iceman
If you have a scanner and live near a tower controlled airport, that can certainly be beneficial. I live not far from Heathrow and could pick up everything from ATIS, Delivery, Ground, Tower and Approach, as well as other local stations such as Redhill and Biggin. It certainly helped with learning clear, concise and CAP-413 compliant phraseology (and of course, what was not compliant).

Iceman 8)
By riverrock
RT in the UK can't legally be recorded and put on YouTube. Looks like Ofcom aren't caring too much at the moment with those people's recordings... ach well - I'm not going to tell them.
My club put together an RT practice CD a few years ago - I've PMed you the details to an MP3 copy (they are happy for it to be shared but don't really want it posted publically - if anyone wants it, just say). CAP-413 has changed in a few places since it was made, we are planning to make another in the near future, but it is good to put on in the background on the way to work.
u2flyboy, JimmiPatel13 liked this
By MercianMarcus
I've often thought that one of the free conf call services could be used to practice RT. All you'd need is:

- Such a service - something like powwonow
- Someone competent to act as ATC; probably fulfilling a number of roles
- An agreed list of units that will be provided
- An arranged time

Then anyone who wants to dial is in and makes his calls.
seanxair liked this
By Bluewings
I Found the oxford Radio Telephony book really useful, there wasn't anything in the RT test that wasn't covered in the book.

Apart from that keep practicing radio calls, and it all becomes a lot easier!
If using the radio seems a lot to take in and you mess up calls then don't have a clue what you need to say or what the controller has said don't worry! a lot of people go through and it all comes together with practice.

Best of luck :)
By webdevduck
If you can find someone else to practice with (another student perhaps?), doing it over Skype is a good way. Plan a route in advance which involves different services at airfields (ATC/FI/AG) and passing through bits of airspace/MATZ.

One of you acts as the controller and away you go, with the "controller" perhaps telling you someone has reported seeing smoke from your engine (cue a Mayday), asking for position reports, perhaps trying to catch you out by not giving you a zone/landing clearance or forcing a divert. They give you feedback and then you get to return the favour.

Through doing this I passed my FRTOL practical last week first time, despite being little more than glider ballast without so much as a bronze to my name, and very little "real" radio practice (calling downwind and asking the FISO to enter the runway in a buggy just about covers it).

I attended a day's groundschool run by the examiner before taking the written, then after that relied on CAP413 and some of the notes on http://www.dustableradio.co.uk (although there are a few inconsistencies, I was told to take CAP413 as gospel). Personally I didn't need any other book, everything is in CAP413, although it is quite long and has some sections that can be ignored for the test.

Having done the written test, someone already with an FRTOL acted as controller/mentor for three of us (at once!) for four sessions, then I did about another four practice sessions with another student (who also passed comfortably). We also had a mock over Skype with the examiner, which we got feedback from, before the real thing, so to be fair they were very supportive.
By Rob P
Sim-Fly based on Old Buckenham offer the facility of flying a flight simulator, not a long way removed from the sort of training aircraft you fly, but will put a qualified FISO on the other end of the headset (from another room) where he will take the role of each station you call along the way A/G, FISO, Full ATC, Military.

You can agree the route beforehand, to suit your own area.

Apart from the voice not changing, it's a good simulation because you are actually 'flying' the aircraft at the same time as making the calls. This may well spread as a concept.

Rob P
By Morten
Vicky Farmer offers RT practice over Skype or telephone.
She is the CFI (and RT examiner) at Flyers Flying School and can be contacted on this link. The website doesn't seem to mention it so you will need to ask what she charges.

(I have no other link to Vicky than as a satisfied customer)

Morten