Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By StuG
Over the past few weeks I've been bashing around the Redhill circuit flying with Cubair. All sorts of failures have been thrown my way...practising flapless approaches, gliding in from downwind, fan stops (anything really!) I know people tend to get bored of the circuit but I still love it! Every time it's different, making sure you get your spacing right, trying to spot others (which is a lot harder than it seems..anyone else ever worried they're cutting in front if you don't see anyone else?) and focussing on getting things set up early for the approach.

I've now done enough solo time in the circuit to start some nav, a new challenge! I've been really lucky with weather too, I fly once a week normally (started in April) and only once have I had a lesson cancelled! (Probably jinxed it now...)

Safe flights!
karlbown, Charles Hunt liked this
By pjl953
I also managed to become especially familiar with the circuit when the weather wasn't good enough for me to start my nav - you do get very used to it. It was made more interesting last time when there was an Extra popping up quickly when climbing vertically after taking off with minimal radio calls.

Good luck with the navigation!
Peter
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
:thumleft:

I still really enjoy doing circuits. I also enjoy looking at my ground track afterwards - consistency is great - and although there are lots of reasons for varying the downwind and base, by the time you're on short final and over the numbers they should all line up - very satisfying when they do :-)

Carefully conforming to the noise abatement procedures on climb-out:

Zoomed in on the numbers - need to work on that spread! :cyclopsani:

But yes, you will of course also enjoy nav. Again, very satisfying to see your ground track going where it should and e.g. the outbound and return leg overlapping.

8)

Morten
By davelee212
Enjoy the nav. I remember my first solo nav like yesterday (to be fair, it was only last year!) I felt like a proper pilot then :)

A bit of an off-topic question... It's a grass runway at Redhill isn't it? what's the surface like time of year? I've a friend who lives near by Redhill and I keep putting off a visit. I'm too used to hard runways and don't use the grass at home base outside of the summer months. Would be good to hear what it's like from a "local"!

cheers!

Dave
By StuG
Runways are still ok (to my novice eye!) the Redhill website gives good information on their state, and also has a good document about local procedures. As long as you don't upset gatwick you're ok, and the guys in the tower are super helpful! :thumleft:
By QSD
davelee212 wrote:Enjoy the nav. I remember my first solo nav like yesterday (to be fair, it was only last year!) I felt like a proper pilot then :)

A bit of an off-topic question... It's a grass runway at Redhill isn't it? what's the surface like time of year? I've a friend who lives near by Redhill and I keep putting off a visit. I'm too used to hard runways and don't use the grass at home base outside of the summer months. Would be good to hear what it's like from a "local"!

cheers!

Dave

As Stu says, the grass runways are still usable at Redhill. 26R / 08L is getting a little rutted in places, but still firm enough.

Don't be put off from visiting though, even if we lose the grass runways soon. There is now an unlicensed hard runway (25/07) available when the grass is not. This runway is 15m wide by 500m long, much better than the old 10 m wide banana shaped taxiway runway we had to use in the past.

Redhill have invested a lot in the aerodrome facilities recently, including a concreted refuelling area and fancy taxyway and runway lighting.

The Pilots Hub is a great place to eat, with the best bacon sarnies I have found anywhere. Always happy to see visitors at Cubair too.
Last edited by QSD on Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T67M liked this
By davelee212
Apologies again for the thread hijack, but thanks for the info on Redhill! I wasn't aware there was a new unlicensed hard runway, last I looked it was just the bendy taxiway so that's good to know. I'll hopefully get myself down there for a bacon sarnie this side of xmas :)

Dave