Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

GregoryHam wrote:I have mine in about 4 weeks, I'm pretty stressed about it, thanks for the information guys :D

Don't stress, it doesn't help.

Read up on some of the numbers, such as best rate of climb, speeds for glide approach, cruise etc. I was asked for them, then asked to stick to them during the flight.

Think of it more as an audit of your instructor than a test of your abilities: You would not have been put forward if there wasn't a very high chance of success, since failure will mostly mean a bad decision on the instructors part.
GregoryHam liked this
By FlightDek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GregoryHam wrote:I have mine in about 4 weeks, I'm pretty stressed about it, thanks for the information guys :D

I was also pretty stressed before my test but it turned out to be one of the most enjoyable flights I had. By the end I'd even forgot it was a test. Just remember to take your time and think about things. The only things you have to do that have time pressure are the PFL and EFATO. For everything else (stalls, steep turns, etc) there's no hurry so have a bit of a think.

Good luck
Dek
GregoryHam liked this
By Josh
The skills test I recall most vividly was my initial IR. I made a bit of a hash of the procedural ILS into Cardiff and was convinced I'd gone out of limits and partialled the test. Had to work very hard to focus on completing the second hour of the test rather than dwelling on it. This was at a time when a first time pass on the IR test was pretty much a requirement for getting a job so it was hard to say the least.

On shutdown I was very surprised to find out I'd in fact passed. The message is:

1. You will make mistakes

2. The examiner know this and is watching for how you react

3. Keep flying to the standard demanded to the best of your ability until the aircraft is parked and the shutdown drills are complete
By GregoryHam
Dave_Ett wrote:

Don't stress, it doesn't help.

Read up on some of the numbers, such as best rate of climb, speeds for glide approach, cruise etc. I was asked for them, then asked to stick to them during the flight.

Think of it more as an audit of your instructor than a test of your abilities: You would not have been put forward if there wasn't a very high chance of success, since failure will mostly mean a bad decision on the instructors part.

Thanks
FlightDek wrote:

I was also pretty stressed before my test but it turned out to be one of the most enjoyable flights I had. By the end I'd even forgot it was a test. Just remember to take your time and think about things. The only things you have to do that have time pressure are the PFL and EFATO. For everything else (stalls, steep turns, etc) there's no hurry so have a bit of a think.

Good luck
Dek

Thanks for the support guys, I will prepare really well :D