Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
AndyR wrote:Tune next frequency and put it in standby having dialled in 121.500 to listen to.

I wouldn't advocate this for a low experience pilot. I was taught to listen out to 121.500 on box 2. But on the occasion I was unfortunate enough to be airborne as another small aircraft got into difficulties I found it thoroughly distracting, a source of anxiety and reduced attention to my own flying. (Albeit nonetheless very educational)
NDB_hold, A le Ron liked this
By AndyR
@rikur_ it can always be turned off…
And I did add that it was probably not advisable at early stages of flying.

@NDB_hold who said anything about listening to two frequencies? I would agree that is distracting.
It can be trained though. I have the pleasure of listening to three frequencies in my day job but it does take some concentration and getting used to.

However the question from the OP was aimed at options when the basic service will give nothing useful. One would assume that no other service was available at the time.
NDB_hold wrote:Also very confusing if both radios start to go at the same time. Monitoring 2 frequencies takes a lot of attention.

Under Andy's system the second frequency is on standby, not monitored.

Rob P
AndyR liked this
NDB_hold wrote:Also very confusing if both radios start to go at the same time. Monitoring 2 frequencies takes a lot of attention.

That reminds me of the occasion I watched an aircraft approach the airfield to land as 'one of ours' was sitting on the threshold for departure. Off he went and the visitor landed. Having a chat with the visitor he confessed to being confused at not receiving a reply from the aircraft on the threshold. Turns out the departing aircraft was tuned to frequency a and monitoring frequency b. He had heard the arriving aircraft announce his arrival and intentions and replied accordingly. What he hadn't noticed was that the calls he was hearing were on the monitored frequency. His replies being on his tuned frequency were not heard by the arriving aircraft.

I learned something that day. :thumright:
Rob P liked this
Where I fly in the Southeast England there are at least 8 or 9 channels that VFR pilots could legitimately be using, from London info and several class D CTR/CTAs, several class G ATZs with their own channel, a few less MATZs than there used to be but still some, plus gliders, balloons (at least they're easy to see), microlights, and Safetycom; oh yes, and that new one from the Military. Whatever my one radio is tuned to en route or mid bimble, most other traffic will be on something else.
AndyR liked this
What I've gathered from the brilliant and informative responses (and much appreciated :) :

- confusion over who best to listen to and when was perhaps valid
- not over relying on comms also a valid concern
- look, look, bit of a listen then look and keep blimmin' looking - as expected really so alles gut

Think this forum excellent for confirming these sort of things to help build up knowledge prior to the actual experience.

(And the FIR comedy show might be welcome since it can't be worse than the R4 output these days)

Thank you.
By rikur_
TopCat wrote:*Very* occasionally on a Basic Service you *might* get a warning of something very close from a LARS controller ....
Don't expect it, much less rely on it, even a little bit.

Just to add that in some areas a BS request is a curtesy to ATC .... e.g. if passing with 15nm east of Humberside you are encouraged to call up for a BS to help maintain a known traffic environment through their arrivals/departures.
I don’t usually bother with services if I’m 100% honest, I sort of just tune into any airfield frequencies that are useful on the way.

I’d not orbit Silverstone without talking to Turweston for instance.

I accidentally accepted a traffic service recently when offered when passing Odiham, first traffic service I’ve ever had I think.

Spent the next 45 minutes of my life saying “looking”, whilst being told about aircraft I couldn’t spot.

The ones I did spot were miles away.

On the other hand,

Had a basic service from Solent Radar recently, who did call me with anything that looked conflicting. (Including a helimed, who actually passed quite close).

Told Lakenheath I was happy to accept vectors as I wanted to bimble around a ground feature in their matz, which was near their base turn and they had a C-130 doing circuits. This surprised them that I was being accommodating, and they were happy to move me out of his way as he came round, also meant I got some nice close passes once he knew where to expect me orbiting, he’d just say he was visual, and he’d miss me!

I think I’ve only spoken to London information once, when going to France.

So I’m very much “I’ll talk to anyone and everyone when it’s of some use”, but I’ll not pick up London Information and don’t think I’ve ever spoken to any of the Farnboroughs.
TrickyWoo wrote:... don't do anything at all and presumably rely on the mark one eyeball...

@TrickyWoo . I'm just catching up with this thread after Santa's white knuckle virtual sleigh ride.

I think most of us now have some form of traffic alerting avionics, Pilot Aware in our case (other systems are available) so we look out with the eyeballs and listen out as PAw and SkyDemon combine to pipe relevant traffic alerts into our headset. Neither system is foolproof, but combined they shift the odds a bit further in our favour.

And to help others our transponder broadcasts ADSB - Out which helps suitably equipped others know we are around.

Rob P
By Paul_Sengupta
rikur_ wrote:Just to add that in some areas a BS request is a curtesy to ATC .... e.g. if passing with 15nm east of Humberside you are encouraged to call up for a BS to help maintain a known traffic environment through their arrivals/departures.

Exeter and Newquay are similar. Anywhere with big passenger aeroplanes but no Class D.

I flew to Leicester from Popham on Thursday. I started out on Popham's frequency obviously talking to them. For the rest of the flight I tuned in:

1) Benson - I didn't talk to them and stayed in the outer regions of their MATZ
2) Oxford Radar - Didn't talk to them but monitored for interest
3) Turweston - I was passing through their overhead, above what would have been ATZ level if they had one, and I did give them a quick shout just for a heads-up
4) Leicester - talked to them and landed

Flying back was the same in reverse except this time I didn't speak to Turweston as I was a bit further out.

Today I flew to Sandown. So Popham, monitored Solent as I went past, then to Sandown who didn't have anyone on A/G so just made circuit calls. Same in reverse on the way back.

If I'm flying around north or south of London, I'll tune in Farnborough, though usually won't speak to them.

I only tune in and call London Information if I want something done with a flight plan or weather.